Fisherys Boarding !!!

shytalk

i feel i must tell this story which occurred today during the european federation of sea anglers european boat championships being held in weymouth this week. channel chieftain was boarded around lunchtime by fisherys officers who had travelled down by sea from poole to target this specific boat for fishing inside the 6 mile fishery limits in a vessel over 12m ,they were only interested in this vessel not the other 2 that were over 12m fishing the same comp and were within sight at the time the boarding lasted well over an hour which ruined the day for those competitors on the boat possibly ruining any chance of winning . if this caution results in conviction then it would mean any charter boat over 12m could not legally fish inside the 6mile limit that would include one of the boats the club members(including a fisherys officer) went to alderney on !!!!!!!! why when there has been over12m boats angling from the south coast for many years do the fisherys decide to do this now during one of the most prestgious sea angling events in europe only time will tell what the outcome will be but if this is what the government want to waste our money on this kind of thing in the name of fisherys protection then i could never be in favour of a recreational sea angling licence

!!!!!!!!!

peter

from whaty im told there is no rule for angling boats the rule is for registered fishing vessels which was to stop big powerful trawlers getting in too close but i will stand corrected on this it i probably some faceless beurocrat putting their own warped interpretation on the rule to find a stick to beat the charter industry with

Peter, amend the drawings to drop the next craft below the limit.

With the question of Angling in the Uk now making a showing during question time, in the House of Commons,I'm afraid we will see more of this sort of thing, basically testing issues so that test cases can be made, and easy fines dished out. The rules are there for everyone to read. If you have a vessel of x meters, you need to gen up on the rules for that size of vessel If you breach the rules, then you may expect a visit.

It goes back to the old saying, if you fly with the crows, some day you get shot! wink.gif

Rich

a few developments today , there is a southern sea fisherys bylaw that has been around for 20 yrs but not inforced that says any vessel over 12m taking sea fish may not do so inside the six mile limit, according to the fisherys officer this rule was intended to reduce fishing effort, but as most will know charter boats are generally licenced for 12 passengers maximum whether they are under 12m or over 12m so there is no effect on effort . personaly it seems like a bit of a witch hunt on a very prosperous and successfull charter fleet. if this is prosecuted successfully then it will remove the livelyhoods of quite a few people

Could it be that the skipper of Channel Chieftain has a commercial licence, purely so he can sell any surplus catch? If this were the case, then I can see why he had been boarded and checked.

Terry.

Terry,

I have been informed that this is NOT the case.

Thinking about this more closely, it is quite ludicrous. One trawler fishing inside the 6 mile limit ( and there is actually a clause to allow this to happen with boats over 12m as well ) will do far more damage to the fish stocks than all the charter boats put together. Of that I am certain.

Its a shame that the fisheries can not concentrate on getting rid of the people who are well known for landing "Black Fish"

Just because some charter skippers can now offer their punters a bigger platform and more comfort does not mean they are catching more than anglers on a 35ft boat

I am sure that many in the fisheries would love the resources to chase the illegal fishing harder, but targetting charter boats appears to be a very "Soft" option.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

But there is no chance of a result here is there?

I am afraid there is for the reasons given. However, looking on the bright side for the minute, there may also be an excellent chance to get the byelaw amended as a result of the inevitable press any case will bring.

Getting byelaws amended in cases like this is usually a huge uphill struggle simply to get round the inertia of change.

Here we have a regulation designed for one purpose that could never have anticipated the increase in charter boat size that has happened. That this increase itself can be argued results from a need to provide increased comfort and safety to consumers rather than representing a significantly increased angling 'take' must also bode well in this case.

Add to this the impact on the local economy represented by the manufacture and fitting out of these craft and you have an excellent case for change.

What is of course extrememely unfortunate is that either no warnings have been issued highlighting the issue at an appropriate time or they have been ignored. However it may well be that this is the fastest route to a long term resolution for all parties?

There are obvious extremes applicable here as well - the 60ft powerboat anchored in Swanage that lets the kids fish and they catch a mackerel is also breaking the byelaw as is any yacht over 12m towing a mackerel lure with the 6 mile limit!

Edited by duncan

as is any yacht over 12m towing a mackerel lure with the 6 mile limit!

Exactly my thoughts as well !!

However, exceptions were made when the byelaw was first made, so existing registered commerical vessels could carry on fishing in the zones until they were either sold or moved port.

Either way a charter boat of 10m carrying 12 anglers is going to catch exactly the same number of fish as a charter boat of 13m carrying 12 anglers and even then most fish are returned.

I would almost guarantee that the trawler we see sweeping across Poole Bay is taking far more fish in one trawl than all the charter boats put together for the day.