Petrol Inboard - Too Dear Or Options?

Adam F

Still looking for new boats....never ending search!

Seen this - cheap as chips...BUT - engine is petrol inboard.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/DYL023/

Too dear to run? Too dear to change?

Probably, but worth checking....

Ticks quite a few boxes...and a diesel version is almost 30k...

Edited by Adam F

No thoughts then anyone?

Would be interested to know roughly the fuel economy for a petrol vs a diesel esp now with the red diesel issue??

The other option would be to buy a boat from abroad - how easy is this? Are their brokers that will do this for me in the UK?

Didn't Dan use to have an inboard petrol engine and it nearly bankrupted him.

Don't think there will be any problem from abroad (EU) as long as you have the original paper work listing the vat have already been paid, otherwise our nice Mr Brown might get to pick your pocket.

The father of a chap at work bought a nice Ocqeteau Sports Fisher, very low hours with inboard diesel from a broker in France. They lent him a trailer so he could bring it home on the ferry, he just put the trailer on the ferry when he finished and they collected it the other side. Total including 3 return trips about 70% of the cost in the uk.

Edited by Brian

I think Gordon has hit the nail on the head, fuel costs are only going to go one way in general, and thats upwards. Perhaps the new generation of 2 stroke will prevail, maybe the ecconomic four strokes, but mile for mile, deisels are better I guess. One way around this, would be a friendship with a local farmer I guess, who gets VAT back on his red, after all, if they dip test your boat at sea, the dye will remain in tanks for years, and what are the chances of getting dipped?? Our travelling fraternity have been running on red for decades!!!

Rich

What you can do to reduce the cost of diesel is do what a lot of the 4x4 or diesel driver do already, use veg oil, as long as you are registered with custom and excise, you then "declare" and pay the duty and vat you use everymonth. But you do have to use a lot of oil to make the hassle worthwhile. dry.gif

yep but it was 4.3litre petrol inboard

So is this one!! 4.3l Mercruiser EFI - Dan, what did yours cost to run?

I want to change to gain a little more range and a larger operating window. With Gordon now having the same Warrior as me, it is crazy having two the same as we both fish together more often than not.

It is likey that I will sit tight and see what happens with red diesel, this used to be a reason alone to go inboard, but maybe not now?

If diesel becomes the same rate as in the petrol stations, what will be cehaper to run? An inboard diesel or a 4 stroke petrol outboard?

Hi Adam

There is a company that advertises on Boats and Outboards importing american craft, mostly Trophy's at what looks like super prices.

They say they look after all the paperwork but I have seen some bad reports towards this company on another forum.

The customer may have been unlucky but it is a lot of money to allow chance to happen.

I too have been thinking in upgrading to a larger craft but will wait until the "Red Diesel" debate has cooled down and see if the aledge sale of diesel craft takes off.

If you are thinking on changing a petrol to diesel, have a word with Salar as he did it on his boat. He would also give you some idea on petrol consumption against diesel. blink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Yes, but as it seems Adam is looking for a bigger boat with inboard, so regardless whether it's a petrol or diesel, it will be bigger and heavier, so a large 4x4 will be required anyhow or maybe mooring ..... the only real argument is the extra weigh of a diesel engine while towing, how much extra will it cost?

Adam, what is stopping you registering as a commercial?? I'm sure it cant be that difficult to get a ticket, after doing all the cert's you already have, there are only a few left to get. That is what Skegsy has done, and he runs a boat similar in size to what you are looking at. Then simply run a few trips a month with paying guests, or indeed declare "shared fuel costs" with other club members, hey presto, tax free red again. Mooring costs, engine maintenance, boat maintenance, even fishing tackle then become tax deductatble!!Surely it cant be that simple, or everyone would be doing it?? But then there is always moe than one way to skin the chancellor........I mean a cat!!

Rich

Edited by Rich J.A.W.

Adam

I have never had a petrol inboard but have heard they are fairly thirsty and that diesels are more frugal than the pets. Bearing in mind what I have just purchased I certainly hope this is correct. Bloody eec fancy announcing the end of derrogation the week I offer to purchase a diesel inboard weep.gif

Martin

The boat will go on a mooring, as I say, Gordon has a trail boat so I wont loose the flexablity, hopefully will gain the oppertunity to fish further afield more often.

It will be a 12 month mooring as I use my boat all year round, most probably at Christchurch. The other factor is I am looking to move house and at the moment locations are limited as I need to be reasonably close to the sea if I'm towing - If I go on a mooring this becomes less of an issue.

Coddy - I will have a word with Salar, as changing the engine over could work, all depending on the costs really.

Hi Adam

...before anyone shoots me down, these are approximations and not pin point accurate:

1) The Boat: It is a the little version of Duncan's boat.

Now Duncan's flys along and is very frugal on DIESEL.

It does drfit a bit odd when there isn't much tide and it can give a fairly harsh ride in heavy weather, but it DOES get through it as was proved when we went to Alderney.

...The 630 Top Moraga takes all the plus points of the 780 and throws them out of the window (with the exception of speed as it is quick). It handles like an absolute pig and will put several vertebrae out if you try and drive with any gusto.

Oh, the petrol version will cost around

Adam,

Clearly you would need to sea trial the 630 to establish just how much of a pig it is - it's certainly possible for pigs to appear in a range despite outward similarities.

With that engine and running around 18knots I would estimate you will be paying around

Sorry I got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

Maybe a "pig" is the wrong way to describe her, but we had an exact replica as a px a couple of years ago and it was an odd driving experience to say the least. Very lively "bow up" even when trimmed in and in a head sea she would get pushed around from side to side very easily not to mention mroe than a little uncomfortable.

Pretty boat though and in diesel will be very cheap.