Petrol Inboard - Too Dear Or Options?

Adam F

The rips in BW was fine and good, but being honest we are running at the very max of our operating range, both in capability and fuel. Once I get their I have enough fuel to fish a limited area and then return with a little in return, if I wanted to hit a wreck another 10 miles out I couldnt. Also we have to be 100% the weather will be spot on.

I still appreciate all of the numerous advantages that a trailer boat has to offer and it's a fine line that needs to be balanced dependant on lifestyle and requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with petrol if you go long range in a fast boat is carrying enough of the stuff!! I know someone who had an MI21 with a petrol V8 - they'd use the full 30 gallon tank plus a couple of cans when wrecking at 30miles!! blink.gif The phrase 'floating bomb' springs to mind!!

For reference - My MI with a 150 diesel burns around 25 litres an hour at 25 knots when she's clean, and a good 2 tide days wrecking will run to 100 miles according to my plotter. So a mile/litre for me, and 4 cans of fuel for a good day out. Or put another way, I can spend a tide on the Schole for less than 2 cans. My mate with a 5.6litre V8 petrol in his hairdresser's boat burns over 4 times that volume!!!

Realistically you have 2 choices - work out how much fuel you'll burn, then compare servicing/engine costs for petrol and diesel to see if it's worth it. Petrol engines are lighter than diesels, (although not by much these days) which may make a difference in a sub 26ft boat. An MI with a 135 honda will go as fast as mine simply due to the lack of weight in the back.