20-25k Boat

pegleg

• 2 weeks later...

i have decided on a boat with an inboard diesel engine due to the lower maintenance costs

Are you sure Jas?? I have just looked into a service on the engine in my chosen next boat and it is more than 10x the cost of a service on my outboard.... ohmy.gif

Inboard on a shaft wil probably work out about the same (near as damn it) as an outboard but an inboard with outdrive will cost considerably more to service. On the other hand an inboard on a shaft will give less performance than an inboard with a leg

You pays your money you takes makes choice

Martin

Inboard on a shaft wil probably work out about the same (near as damn it) as an outboard but an inboard with outdrive will cost considerably more to service. On the other hand an inboard on a shaft will give less performance than an inboard with a leg

indeed - it's horses for courses, swings and roundabouts etc etc

as ever you tend to hear about outdrive problems and expensive costs but never about the ones that run and run with routine maintenance. generally the 290 Volvo drives do well here, as do BIIs and Alpha's.

equally you pay about a 20% premium on fuel for shaft v duoprop drive in similar craft at planning speeds - which can add up

you also have a gearbox to maintain on a shaft

personally I would consider all the above about equal in the end - the real difference is in how the boat sit in the water under way and low speed handling. Not suggesting ones better just that here is where the real differences lie and choices should be based.

By the way Jas, how did the leg dressing and re dressing by startlingly fit fem fatale dressed in tight white slightly starched crisp clothing ( Ohhhh I've given meself a headache!) At Catterick go? My grandson was there doing his basic and had a couple of days in the med center with a sports injury. He said they took no prisoners!But mind you he was a lippy 17 yera old at the time.

Mad Mike

Hi Toerag, I have decided to look for an inboard diesel boat rather than an a stern drive boat. Thanks mate.

Mike i was actually in Strensall barracks nr York. This is a medical centre set up to train all medical staff in the TA before they go to Iraq/ Afghanistan (poor bu@@ers) There were three of us amputees on scene and all had to go and get made up by a special make up artist. As usual by the time she finished with me you really think that i had my leg blown off. It truly is blood and guts.

My senario was that of a man running from Afghan looters and apon entering a house to hide i accidently triggered a mine and had my leg blown off, damaged hearing and shrapnel to arm and chest. My brief was that apon entering the hospital from the back of a landrover with sirens blarring and on stretcher was to act obviously in pain but i had been administered some morphin to quieten me down. I entered A&E where i had my clothes cut from me and then was worked on by the medical team for approx 45mins, all this time i was acting incoherent, in shock, anxious, deaf and in pain. After this i was stretchered into theatre where i stayed for about an hour watching a surgeons team working on a manikin ( OF ME ) From there i went staight onto the ward where i stayed overnight

Lots of lovely ladies in camo gear bringing me many a cup of tea whilst layed up in bed. Great fun and good pay. Chees Jas

Hi Terry. Yes we have all done various things for film/drama series, and many of my collegues have been in major films like Troy , Gladiator , saving private ryan, shaun of the dead, and these roles have taken them to various parts of the world. Jas