20-25k Boat

pegleg

Hi all, i am looking for some advice from you all hopefully.

i have between 20k-25k to spend on a boat. What would you buy and why ?

thanks jason

Jason dear chap....

....come and see me for a slightly biased, but very open chat.

Of course, I will try and steer you to what I have on offer, but I will also go through all the different plus points and minus point sof alternatives.

Obviously we will have certain considerations you will need to prioritise, but I promise I can help as well as anyone, maybe more.... so long as you don't mind me talking about my own boats too.

Cheers

Tom

PS: The kettle is always on.

Jason,

I would try to have a day out on as many boats of different models, that appeal to you, as I possibly could. Between all of us in the club we must have most makes and combinations of hull and engine. 20-25k can buy a lot of boat, and you need to make sure that it suits you and the type of fishing you expect to do!!!

I personally like an "Aquafish 23" with a 200hp Mercruiser in it, I might be a bit biased though. Its one of the quickest boats of its size, its ridiculously economical and has performed brilliantly in any sea that we've taken it out in (should have stayed at home some of those days). More importantly, it fills all the needs that we require to fish the way we do, whether it is mid channel wrecking, a winter anchored for cod or a summer on the bass, it does it all.

Good luck on your search,

Regards

Al

Hi guys, what i have in mind is a boat big enough for four to fish, diesel inboard for economy, and i have just put my name on the waiting list for a pontoon mooring at weymouth. Unfortunately there is a 6-12 month wait. Still it will give me a chance to swat up on the basics , and i hope to do my vhf and rya 2 boat handling course in the new year.

Sounds like you'll enjoy your fishing alot more after you have have done a few 100 hours on the water post qualification. As you know it takes more than these basic training sessions to make a skipper, feel confident in all types of seas and take responsibility for you and your friends aboard.

I learnt by my own mistakes and near misses, got myself into a few scrapes, but the damage I could do to my wallet was restricted. With an investment like 25k you may be tempted to go further than you feel comfortable and ready for, and end up in difficulty which will put you off ever going out again.

this would be a real pity, since all advice given here on these pages is given for free, in good faith, and meant to be helpful.

Cheers

Paul

Jason

my 2p

make sure you are honest with yourself about what you want the boat - even go as far as writing down a wish list. This can be as wide as where you want to visit, normal number to be accomodated, min and max; family factors now and in the future ie is it only for fishing. Available resources - mechanical skills, wood, grp electrical electronic etc.

when you have done this you can refine the above into a list of requirements against which to consider different boats, of different ages and condition.

on th eother side of the coin, reading into your poasts so far, I can see an Aquafish 23 fitting the bill very well indeed.

Hi Jason,

A great question, and you'll get a variety of replies, I'm sure. Do get out there and try boats - in as wide a range of conditions as you can - see the various posts on following seas and sea safety.

I've actually thought of a boat that does much of what you want, but as you might expect from me, not in the conventional way.

Does your ultimate "wish list" includes the following?

- Up to 5 berths

- Separate marine toilet and wash area

- Galley and dining table with lounging space

- Ability to take longer trips in comfort with family and friends

- Small enough and easily managed even when out "solo"

- Self-contained, space for full safety gear, no need for "buddy boat"

- Good stability at anchor, and particularly when drift fishing

- A boat that you can still use and enjoy when too windy for fishing

- Option of heating for those cold winter cod trips

- Phenomenal sea-keeping, and the ultimate in "get-homeability"

- Incredible stability - self-righting if inverted

- Plenty of handholds for ease of moving around

- Low fuel consumption (see red diesel news)

The model of boat that meets these criteria is a Contessa 32 yacht, which I have sailed, but not owned. These have done transatlantics, and circumnavigations, and is the only class of boat that survived the notorious 1979 Fastnet race unscathed - all vessels finishing.

The downside to the equation is that 6 knots is about your limit under engine or sail in "normal" conditions, the draft of 5' or so limits your ability to go "creek crawling", the cockpit is smaller and narrower than conventional angling boats, and hence 3 rods would fit better than 4, they are getting a bit old now and you'll have a steady stream of maintenance jobs to keep you busy.

You can pick them up for

• 4 weeks later...

The model of boat that meets these criteria is a Contessa 32 yacht

hmm Contessa 32,,, great boat,, but the presence of miles of rigging, a rather tall pointy thing pple call a mast, and plenty of snag places for hooks,,,,

amasing seagoing sailing vessel, and looks beautiful,, but not the ideal fishing boat!

nice try tho! he he

has anyone got a pic of the aquafisher 23, as i cant seem to find this on the web!!

Thanks Dan

Much appreciated Rich, i'll give him a call early next week and try to arrange a visit.

I must sort out which boat would suit me best before i have to go into hospital again, so any help ie; advice or getting me out on a boat would be great. I am interested in getting a boat with an inboard diesel engine with an electric anchor.

Can anyone recommend any web sites i should browsing through ? cheers guys jas

Jas,

Re. the electric anchor windlass - this shouldnt be a pre-requisite of your selection, these can be fitted to practically any boat for a few hundred squids.

As for looking for boats - http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/category/...s/Fishing+Boats

Is probably the best place on the net for looking in one place, but once you have decided a short list google is good for tracking down boats for sale and reviews and piccies.

From our brief chat the other day, the Arvor seems to sit your requirements nicely. The Merry Fishers would be good, but you'll loose a bit of deck space to the cabin.

Arvors - http://www.essexboatyards.com/stocklist/category.php/FISH

Once you have a short list post on here and we'll try and find clubs boats for a sea trial - failing that the dealers will be more than accomodating - if you need a hand / advice, again just ask here most of us would be willing to come along to help and give our opionions.

Happay hunting!

Thanks Adam. got boats and outboards on the old watch list with a couple of others. Just looking for a boat with things like electic anchor/ with trailer etc. Probably looking for too much for my money but who isn't.

Would like to do my vhf course soon ....Do you have a phone number for the chap that does it ? cheers mate jas

Jas,

his name is Dave Harris at Shell Bay Watersports on 07831258823.

I've done my VHF/DSC, Level 2 Powerboat and Shore Based Coastal Skipper/ Offshore Yachtmaster with Dave in the last 4 months and cant recommend him highly enough. An excellent instructor!!!

Al