Christchurch Run

Tomo

Hi Guys,

Just become a member and have got my boat moored at Tuckton...could anyone tell me the approximate depth at low water springs tides at the end of the run? Have heard so many diffrent opinions! My boat draws 2 ft but have been told not a lot of chance of getting in at the bottom of the tide. blink.gif

There are greater experts on this than I but a general rule would be not to try it 1.5 hours either side of low water. Paul J would be the one to ask. I once grounded my wilson F 17 with the engine trimmed out going through there, so at 2 feet draft a little caution is advised. The bar is littered with bits of prop and skeg blink.gif

Good luck

100% guaranteed that you wont get through the run on a low water spring tide.

I can get my Orkney through there on around 0.9 metres on the tide table. The smaller LW of the two on a neap I can get through but springs - not a cat in hells chance.

If the depth doesnt get you then the current ripping through and the inability to steer with a high degree of tilt on your engine will !

I can show you my selection of destroyed props if you don't believe me smile.gif

and.....to complicate matters.........it's always changing shape!!, varies from summer to winter and the effects of atmospheric pressure on sea levels.

Go and have a look on Sunday or Monday afternoon, about 3 or 4; an average sort of Spring low but High pressure will push the water down another 20 - 30 cms and the gravel will be visible over huge area and you will think 'Channel??? What channel??'

Alun.

If you are drawing 2 feet it might even be an idea not to risk it more than 1.5 hours either side of HIGH water. As others have said a combination of current and swell can drop the old prop nicely on the bottom. Chart datum is I think around 0.5 metres. If we call that 18 inches in old money you can see what I mean. It worried me at first, you could almost cut the tension with a knife on my boat. You soon get used to it though and we all ding props at some time or other. Or in my case nearly all the time!

It's probably better to be over cautious at first until you get the feel of things.

Steve

Just been down there to see it at Spring Low.........

.........and most of the buoys have gone, leaving two yellow and a distant red one.

So beware......... keep inshore of the two yellow buoys , they are on the edge of the two largest gravel banks.

Alun.

Well lads,

I took all your advise on retun time and took my first trip out today...lots of mist this morning and buoys marking the channel, fished the ledge nothing but doggies......came back 3 hours before predicted low water....no buoys to be seen and OUCH!...new boat and now not so new prop..Stuck on the bar but I had 5 other boats for company.......Lesson learnt.

Got some great pics of the sunset though. sick.gif

Tomo

I heard a rumour that 'the bar' and sorta channel, change shape and move a bit during high outflow from the harbour. This would be greater during the winter months when the rivers are at full flow, coupled with the more unsettled stormy periods.

I heard a rumour that 'the bar' and sorta channel, change shape and move a bit during high outflow from the harbour. This would be greater during the winter months when the rivers are at full flow, coupled with the more unsettled stormy periods.

Hi Trev

I can understand that, but when I use to fish up on the East coast from the river Deben, near Felixstowe, they were and still are moving the channel markers as the sand banks change.

A survey is regularly carried out by the harbour master who advises Trinity House to move markers. This happens all year long!

Perhaps the Christchurch Harbour Master only works in the Summer!

Coddy

cool.gif