4WD for towing boat

Paul D

Helen is looking to get a replacement for the Focus she uses ( as the kids are too tall ).

I have my eye on a Freelander 4WD - handy for towing the boat smile.gif

Does anyone have recommendations as to good 4WD for towing ( I seem to recall that Mark Adams had a Suzuki ? )

I know a Freelander is not the best for towing but surely will walk over the task of towing the little Orkney with 4WD for those slippy slipways !!

Now to work out how to pay for it !?!?

Paul - Nothing wrong with a Freelander. In fact we are in exactly the same situation, and are also looking a a freelander.

Unless you are towing a 4 ton rig, the freelander will be fine for your types of boats - the only thing I will metion is that they are perminant 4WD, so more wear on the tyres - the Suzuki's are switchable as it is not really needed 90% of the time. But good solid cars though.

My astra copes fine with towing the Warrior on the road - it just struggles for traction on any slip bar Baiter. A Freelander will enable you to launch and retreave anywhere.

Adam

Like Adam says.........a freelander could be expensive on tyres, depends on how many miles you will be doing.

My folks have one, and my sister, both say its superb.

If you shop around, great deals can be had on tyres......I bought a set of five for the Hi Lux two months ago, cost was UNDER

Our Suzuki Grand Vitara has been great.

As Adam says, the big advantage is that it has selectable 4W or 2W drive, saving on both tyres and fuel. We use 2W drive about 99.9% of the time.

The only thing about the Suzuki is that the rear luggage bay in slightly smaller than we would have liked, but on the plus side the head room is much better than the Freelander, especially in the rear seats.

Mark A got a great deal on a new Vitara.

Bob F

very pretty Whippet - looks just like my Colorado 3.0 TD long wheel base........ rolleyes.gif

re tyres I have got through a whole 4 tyres ie one change in 54,000 miles. Admitidly there was a lot of motorway driving but also a hell of a lot of load/towing (2 trips with family and boat to Spain for example). However I will have to replace another 2 shortly!

However I would say that the Freelander has a lamentable reliability history from what I hear.

Mike

I read (What car) it the freelander suffer from gasket problems. Apparently they use a new type of metal and some can fail easier than other after just 20-30 k/km. Resulting (sometimes) in new engines. If you do decide to get one, make sure it's warranted up to the eyeballs.

Whippet.............be mindfull that you will get an excess on your insurance for having a grey import, as they are called.

Exactly the same as models sold in europe, but higher spec, and better looked after!!! I wonder why they load the policies!!!

Rich

Rich,

I think this used to be the case... but there are now so many imports on the road that most companies now offer cover for imports without any penalty.

I have been quoted

Guest Malroy

Hi,

Don't want to dampen your eagerness for the Landrover but I would avoid it like the plague if you need any reliability & you don't want to keep shelling out on it.

I have the Disco TD5 (Co car), had it from new to 96k miles. Superb puller, lots of comfort, plenty of torque & love the Auto gearbox for towing (don't even know the Warriors on the back)but blighted by the time in the dealers & guess what, they never have a courtesy car available either, so hire cars become the norm. Since coming out of its 3 years warranty, has had no less than

So buyer beware for Landrovers. You have been warned!! tongue.gif

I too have an automatic 4x4 and find it fantastic for towing and manouvering the boat. Especially good on the slip where you don't have to worry about clutch control whilst worrying about all the other things your thinking about when pulling the boat out of the water...like will I loose my car to the sea!!!

Did I read that right Malroy? You lost the car to the sea?? Pray expand.

Bob F.

Yes lost it.

Backed into the water table at Rhos-on Sea (North Wales) to pull out my earlier boat & trailer.

Apparently on this beach the water table travels well forward of the sea line, lying just under the surface.

It sank into the table as I tried to pull the unit forward. The brakes had locked on because I had put on a new anti reverse braked axle which wasn't quite set up right in conjunction with the break back action. The brake back trailer & the jockey wheel was too well dug in to rope the unit.

After managing to release the trailer, three 4x4's in tandem tried to pull me out but to no avail. Ropes kept snapping. The Fourtrack was a write off (5 days before it was due to go in for part ex). Company insurance luckily covered the vehicle for this "off road" use.

Check your policies as a lot don't.

Since then I have either made or bought and fitted a "sandskipper" device (adjustable carrier for the spare wheel fitted to the front of the trailer to act as much larger jocky wheel) for the trailer and always rope it. I have found jockey wheels are never good enough to solely rely on, especial when they hit a part burried rock/pebble etc.

The engine was still running with the exhaust covered and the water up to my waist. I laugh about it now, but didn't at the time.

Hard lesson to learn.

Now I tend to go over the top on safety & precautions, which is never a bad thing.

Malc

Wow! What a story. ohmy.gif

Must have been heart braking at the time. weep.gif

Around our area we don't do any launching from the beach, so we have little experience of the pit falls. But we are doing alot of trail-aways and one day we may have to perform beach launches, so your story is a valuable insight to some of the hazards and tips for safe launching and retrieving.

Thanks for sharing the info. wink.gif

By the way, what boat setup do you have now?

Mine is a 2002 Model Alaska 500 with 70HP Suzuki Four Stroke.

But we have all sorts in the club (members and boats rolleyes.gif ) all the way up to 35ft.

Bob F

As I go out both on my own or just with my wife, I opted for an easy launch/retrieve option (especially on beaches) but still with good seaworthy properties.

Current outfit is:

Warrior 150 (1997 model)

Honda 50hp main (4 stroke) superb engine, new late 2003.

Yamaha 4hp backup (4 stroke) new late 2003.

Eagle Supra Pro Finder (however just bought the 480DF and waiting its arrival)

Eagle Ultra nav II DGPS (looking to replace with colour plotter)

Swiftech Fixed VHF

XM2000 Handhed backup VHF

Indespension unbraked (just about get away with it) roller coaster.

Nearly finished live bait tank.

Plus all the other many, many safety bits.

Aspirations are towards maybe a new 165 or 175 when funds allow but I really love the 150, its so compact and easy to work, plus it handles some sea that shouldn't really suit a 15' boat.

Would certainly prefer an enclosed wheelhouse like the Quicksilvers but as mentioned, easy launch & retieve from a beach or sloping slip is a must.

Used to have a Force 70hp on it which gave up to 38knots but was hellishly thirsty.

Pistons went last year so opted for new engines all round.

The Honda uses less than half the fuel the Force engine did. Turns around 28-29 knots max with the 13" prop, but I am now achieving up to & around 32 knots max with a 14 1/2" prop recently fitted, given the right conditions.

"LONG MAY 4 STROKES REIGN"

Malc

Guest Trailer

Hello All, I needed to buy a new 4x4 at the begining of the year for towing the boat.

I've allways been a great lover of the Discovery, but as people have already posted, Costly very costly.

I also found that when beach launching I had to put the rear end in up unto the exhaust pipe (V8 Converted to Gas) and found after 1 season the back end started rotting away??, New vehicle aswell.

Bought a 2.5 diesel and could put the back end right in, but again back end rotted away.

Since then I have bought the Rav 4, petrol, 2.0 ltr auto. As already posted, when a boat is on the back of a Discovery you don't know its there but with the Rav 4 I'm always aware I'm towing something, not a lot, but somethings there. I'm not sure if it's because its petrol as I've never tried a diesel one. Thing is I told the dealer it will have its arse end put in salt water from time to time and Toyota have still given me a hand written warranty that the paintwork/bodywork will still be guaranteed for 11 years!!!.

A few more beach launches and we will see if the dealer is true to his word.

Trailer, nice insight. Great idea to get the written guarantee. I'll have to remember that one, it's a real test of the maker's confidence in their product.

But the proof is in the pudding, I guess. We'll just have to wait and see how you get on.

Malc, gotta agree about the 4 strokes, they're great. Very quiet, no smoke, no vibrations, and start like a dream. I have the 14 1/2" prop and used to get 30knts until I fitted a Dolphin Fin which reduced the top end to 28knts but gives the boat a much smoother ride and more adjustment on the tilt control. It comes onto the plane quicker too.

Bob F.