Flat Fish / Ray Comp

Manic Moore

Correct

...and be warned - OK if the wind is offshore and light, but anything with S in it is not good IMO.

Is is a crap drive down the narrow lanes, a steep awkward slip not acessable at dead low and faces striaght out into open ocean.

10 mins longer in the car and you have the Town Quay slip at Weymouth where not even a gale would stop a safe harbour passage, and the best public slip on the south coast.

Having been there in bad conditions, Weymouth gets my vote everytime.

Adam

The crew of "Frisky" are game to try the flatty/ray comp, but as we've NEVER had any ray in 18 years boat angling round here, we think we might have a problem getting started. The Lulworth banks are just too far for us in our slow boat.

Anchoring over gravel seems good, biggish mackerel and squid baits on heavy mono traces fished "hard on" the bottom appears to be the method. I've heard of marks in Swanage Bay, but would need a fairly shallow one (les than 50' ideally), out of most of the tide. Anyone have any suggestions they could share?

We've also had a lousy year or two on the flatties. Having caught 3lb flounder, plaice to nearly 4lb, dabs to around a pound, and small turbot and brill over the last few years, we know they can be caught, but we've seen none lately. When we have tried those old inshore marks, there's been nothing there. Maybe inshore trawling? Any suggestions for the Poole area?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The Swanage Bay area can produce excellent flats and specimen sized blondes, undulates, thornbacks, small eyed or even spotted are there so theres no real excuse!

That weekend will see next to no tide inshore for much of the time but you should realistically be ready to anchor in up to 90ft for some of the marks.

Just to clarify to anyone who had contemplated joining me for crew!

Kimmeridge is easy to get to and no issues with the roads, if anything they are fairly quiet now.

Launch area is a little steep but not had a problem retrieving yet, as I have launched my previous boat on 5 or 6 occasions and in a brisk South Westlerly.

The swell problems, ( advice from a local fisherman ) is from brisk off shore breeze coupled with strong tides. It seems to hold back the water to create larger breakers.

This is a similer Phenomenon to the one Adam and I experienced at Christchurch when we watched a boat vertually capsize.

I believe that the incedent that Adam and Bob experienced was one that none of us would like to repeat but in hindsite I believe they took the wrong decision to try retrieve in those conditions and should have called the coast guard for advice.

Anyway, off my soap box smile.gif If anyone would like to crew they are welcome and safe

I'll Pm Reg, and let him know he can launch from Poole, I'm sure he can buddy up with someone down there. Mark and I are going to launch Nipper on the saturday afternoon, have a mooch about to see how the electronics package is working out, then nip back into harbour, mooor up, met my old chutney ferret mate BB, get bladda'd, have a huge curry, then sleep over on the boat, ready for early doors sunday.

I have to meet up with Reg as I have some bits and pieces for him, anyhow.

Rich

Mark and I are going to launch Nipper on the saturday afternoon, have a mooch about to see how the electronics package is working out, then nip back into harbour, mooor up, met my old chutney ferret mate BB, get bladda'd, have a huge curry, then sleep over on the boat, ready for early doors sunday

rich - remarkably similar plan to that hatched for Phaeton - in fact absolutely the same in principle ! Launch Sat, eat/drink (possibly to excess but tied up somewhere) sleep aboard then fish Sunday in the calm sunshine with fishing success a side issue ( rolleyes.gif )............

mind you I haven't discussed it with Dave yet........ ph34r.gif

hehe rang Dave and he seemed to agree the principle was excellent too - seemed more interested in what we were planning to eat and drink than the fishing just like Rich!

Am I getting too old for these serious sleeping bag and headache tablet sessions I have to ask myself?...........and for some bizzarre reason I also wonder where Fred plans to be Saturday night!

Edited by duncan