Big Bait Bass Floats

TomBettle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I'm getting bitter, but get to know your terminal tackle!!!!!

Save a few pence and catch f^^% all. Wise up and buy some tackle that performs the same, everytime you fish with it, and you'll catch more fish without doubt. If you don't want to spend 3 quid on a piece of terminal tackle that will help you catch more fish, you might as well sell your boat and sit in, in the evenings, moaning at the missus and forget about fishing and having fun.

Forget about panda pop bottles and the rest of the rubbish, get something that you can get used to and forget about all those useless alternatives. You all spend loads of money running your boats, why try to spend next to nothing on the tackle you fish with when its the cheapest part of the hobby.

Al

Nice One Al

You tell us mate

I think we all miss that point, we spend a huge chunk on boats moorings fuel bait and then finish up at jumble buying cheap gear to fish with.

I would rather have a few rods and quality reels than a garage full of cheap deals from ebay etc.

That said I still mould my own weights and make up my own traces so saving money where we can is important to me too. but not to minimise the chance of catching some better fish.

recent catches prove that you have the system sussed out, and if buying " Proper" floats is what you consider contributes to the success rate then it is good to know that as well.

As you say if all you want to do is fish as cheaply as possible, better get a small boat, hoist a sail and use 80 lb mainline [Off ebay] To troll a redgill [Off ebay] around the harbour.

Fuel cost 0, losses 0 fish 0 fun 0

Charlie biggrin.gif

That said I still mould my own weights and make up my own traces so saving money where we can is important to me too.

I do it not because of the cost factor but the satisfaction knowing a rig I built myself catches fish. If I can build a rod and reel I will dame give it a go too.... rolleyes.gif

Interesting thread here and seeing Ruperts comments on another thread. I just had to comment...

Fished using a small lead and Portland rig setup previously and just could not get the hang of it. It obviously does work but I just didn't enjoy it and we fish for enjoyment primarily.

Heard how Al and Rupert were using floats. Got instructions on how to rig one from Al - spent some money on tackle smile.gif and then headed for "the mark". Successful first time and since then my son has caught using a float ( and there is no way he would have caught bouncing a lead along "snag city" ! ) and my wife has caught a great fish as well.

Fishing is about enjoyment and I enjoyed the "feedback" that using a float gives you as opposed to constantly losing tackle.

Float wins for me, although freelining a mackeral along the ledge is equally fun.

First trial prototypes were disastarous!

Used a test piece of polystyrene to check the solvent effect from te paint I was using. No worries, worked a treat, but nobody had told me it was sealed polystyrene with some form of lacquer or PVA glue.

So, full of confidence, the first prototype "eggs" are drilled as neatly as I can by hand, an area masked to suit the "cocking" centre section of the float and I get to work mounting each on a gently rotating drill whilst lightly spraying the flourescent paint in little puffs from the side.....

....went on perfectly until befoe my eyes the damn things start melting adn I get the biggest "lunch hour" high you could possibly imagine with the vapour of solvent abuse gently wafting through the Salterns Marina precinct sick.gifblink.gif .

Next go coming up.

Note to self: Either apply a lacquer to seal the polystyrene or use a non solvent based, waterproof paint.

Tom

First trial prototypes were disastarous!

Used a test piece of polystyrene to check the solvent effect from te paint I was using. No worries, worked a treat, but nobody had told me it was sealed polystyrene with some form of lacquer or PVA glue.

So, full of confidence, the first prototype "eggs" are drilled as neatly as I can by hand, an area masked to suit the "cocking" centre section of the float and I get to work mounting each on a gently rotating drill whilst lightly spraying the flourescent paint in little puffs from the side.....

....went on perfectly until befoe my eyes the damn things start melting adn I get the biggest "lunch hour" high you could possibly imagine with the vapour of solvent abuse gently wafting through the Salterns Marina precinct sick.gifblink.gif .

Next go coming up.

Note to self: Either apply a lacquer to seal the polystyrene or use a non solvent based, waterproof paint.

Tom

Ahhhhh I hadn't been following this thread so I couldn't warn you.

Yes as you discovered the white poly foam used for packing/insulation etc is disolvable by most paints and thinners except for Epoxy resin and epoxy paint or water based emulsion or eggshell.

To make the float with a center hole make a silhouette of the float out of 1/8th thick modelers plywood and cut it in half lengthways with a wide cut of about 1/8" glue this to a half side of the polyfoam with Araldite or Cascamite (both inert with polyfoam) with the 1/8th gap in the middle. Lay a tube/drinking straw in the gap and glue the other half of the polyfoam over this and wait for it to dry. Finish the shape by sanding by hand. When finished paint with several coats of bathroom quality emulsion paint or if your lucky enough to see a boat being painted with 2 x pack epoxy go and borrow a brushfull.

Mad Mike

Save yourself the grief and Fumes

on reading my earlier comment it sounds like strange advice from someone building a boat from GRP in this heat.

How high do you flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

biggrin.gifblink.gifbiggrin.gifunsure.gifblink.gifsick.gif

Charlie

At least you don't have 6hr hardening times like in the winter Charlie.

Mind you unless you add a drop of retardent I bet you have to work quick, but at least you can laminate up 4 or 5 layers in a day no problem.

Mad Mike

Ive just had a chat with my mate in Lonis and I can get Bass Floats for 2quid each. They support a decent amount of weight and come in either floro red or green tips. Cigar shaped inline floats.

The cigar ones will take three ounces, but an 8" cigar prefers 2.

Stick 3oz on and the mackerel tends to take it down to easily.

I t'ink this one has nearly bin done to death blink.gif ........ but I said I would look at net floats so here goes.

Just one example so far but the smallest I could find.

Tis 85mm long and 40mm diameter. piccy below, float test to come..... what-will-sink-it test etc.

There has to be loads of options down this route for those who like to make their own stuff

T

post-5-1153260871jpg

Mmmmmmm. dry.gif

Maybe the next size up...................oooooooooooooor rolleyes.gif

I'll cut a bit off the ends of two and glue em together...... smile.gif

S*d it mad.gif

I'll buy um.................... laugh.gif

Rup's magic floats are 120mm X 60mm, but quite tapered low down and rated at 94g.

The reality is that they are perfect for three ounces, the weight of a couple of swivels etc and a lively mackerel.

The test sizes I have so far are a little less slender than Rup's with an 80mm X 60mm and also 100mm X 60mm.

The 80 x 60 should be perfect for 2oz and the larger for 3oz, but I am still to do some bouyancy tests as I have to regain a little confidence following my melting episode.

Hmmmm starting to think about buying them too! weep.gif

At a guess Trev:

1oz will just about cock it / get it to stand upright

2oz will cock it proper, but then it will take very little weight to sink it.

The 80 x 60 should be perfect for 2oz and the larger for 3oz, but I am still to do some bouyancy tests as I have to regain a little confidence following my melting episode.

Hmmmm starting to think about buying them too!

post-5-1153930313jpg

Edited by Wedger