Outboard Warranty

Bob F

Thought you'd be interested in hearing about the saga of my outboard.

As most of you know, I bought the boat and engine from new almost two years ago. The outboard is a 70hp Forustroke state-of-the-art jobby. I'm not going to mention the manufacturer yet, but most of you know. The warranty expires in May 2004.

I took the engine in for a service, and at the same time a new temperature sensor was to be fitted under warranty, which had been playing up since new.

Week one went by without the service being completed, because it had been raining and the dealer does not have indoor facilities (???). But they had at least fitted the new temperature sensor.

Week 2 started with the promise that they would start the service on Monday.

On Thursday I got a call from the Service Manager saying that they had discovered

an oil leak from the crackcase seal. I was advised that the seal would be replaced under warranty. I was also told that the job required removing the power head, but this wasn't a big job and they would have it completed within a couple of days of receiving the new oil seal. The oil seal was duely ordered.

Week 3 started with the removal of the power head. I phoned on Weds to ask how things were progressing. I was informed that it was "a nightmare". Apparently, the manufacturer has changed the design on the new 4 strokes and the oil seal isn't in the usual place and it now requires the removal of the wiring loom and crankcase to get to the seal. Almost of complete strip down. The work had begun and the oil seal was replace and the rebilud was started. I phoned on Friday and was told the the rebuild was just about complete, but they were waiting for a new gasket which had to be ordered (why didn't they know that the gasket would need to be replaced?)

Week 4 commenced with the continuation of the rebuild. I phoned on Weds for an update and was told that they had snapped off a bolt and needed to order a new one. I asked how they could snap a bolt if they were using a properly set torque wrench. I was told it was not unusual for bolts to snap on marine engines. On Saturday I went into the shop and was told that the engine was rebuilt and that I could take the boat for the weekend but that they wanted to run it for a few hours to ensure everything was ok, first. And there appeared to be a problem with the new sensor they had fitted because the Over Temp light was staying on. I told them to keep the boat until it was all fixed.

Week 5 - phoned on Monday and was told that they hadn't been able to work on it. I told them I needed to boat back on Weds at the latest. Tuesday, today, I was phoned by the Service Manager and told that the boat would not be ready on Weds because the engine was overheating after 3 mins. He said that they were not sure what the problem was and have been consulting the manufacturer for advice. They suspect the thermostatic valve and have ordered a new one.

I said, ok when do we say enough is enough and ask Suzuki to send me a new motor. I was quite firmly told it will never happen. I quoted "fittness for purpose, etc" and was told the manufacturers stance will be that the engine will be fit for purpose when they have fixed it. There is no commitment from the manufacturer to replace the engine if it is repairable, and this is even if it takes 50 attempts to fix it.

So guys, where do you think I stand, and what course of action should I take to get this all resolved?

cheers

Bob F.

Bob

I am really sorry to hear of your problems and sympathise 100%. A sorry tail if ever I have heard one.

My suggestions are as follows:

Firstly contact the manufacturer direct, give them the full story from your side, as posted here. Se what their response is.

Secondly contact the local trading standards office and give them the low down on what has taken place they will advise you.

Thirdly get a contact email address for Suz oops the manufacturer and let us all have it we will in turn send an email asking how they can expect members of this club to have confidence in their products when they wont even satisfy one customer, or something along those lines. We as a club can advise our members of the service to be expected from suppliers, we have the vehicle to do this via our site, we do not have to be slanderous when we do it there are ways and means. In fact we have started by discussing the issue.

Lastly write to the sea fishing magazines and put them in the picture, how can they take advertisments from companies that do not fullfill their promises. We are the magazines customers as well and as such take advice from the writers of such publications.

Guys any more ideas

Martin

Bob

It would be hard to say the engine was unfit for purpose after nearly two years.

The problem seems to be with the repair agent. Is it a recognised suzuki agent? and are ALL OF THE REPAIRS under warrenty.

It is a problem with Suzuki, that they tend to make changes every year on some of the parts of their engines.

It is difficult to keep up to date with these mods when only using one size of engine [ I used to look after suzuki 140 HP for Royal Marines at Poole] and must be hard if all sizes are constantly changing.

That said the computerised stores info should be available to them.

Another problem is that most suzuki's are put together dry of grease, so when a part has to removed for the first time they are easy to shear off. I have broken more than a few. sad.gif

So NOT ALL of the above from the repair agent is bulls##t I am afraid.

Your patiance has been admirable, I think by now mine would have long gone.

Perhaps its time to ask for a free service as compensation for the delays caused by the inefficient repairs.

Best of luck biggrin.gif

Charlie

Basicly speaking as you have had the engine for 24 months you will be deemed to have accepted it. However you might have recourse against the service agent due to his ineptitude. Your course of action would be to diarise what has already happened in a consise to the point manner, send this to the agent with an explination that he has had more than enough time to make good the repairs and that you hold him responsible for his own inefficiency. Other points to raise are that #1 studs/bolts do not shear easily on marine engines of 2 years old except by bad engineering practice, and #2 Any dismanteling of an engine will require new gaskets. It is gross ineficiency not to have them to hand on an engine strip down.#3 The weather should not be a variable for a professional outfit.

Give him a fixed (reasonable) time span to repair the engine and tell him that for every week you are denied the use of your engine after that date you will expect financial recompence of

Bob,

Sorry to hear the tale, and I can only say that it reads very well.

I would copy Susuke GB in on your note and maybe draw out the salient points -

1. There product specifications are getting good press but surely an OB is about ease of maintainace and servicability - what's going wrong here?

2. Their product is only as good as their service agents - are they happy that what is happening here reflects appropriately on their investments?

Overall you just want the engine back in one piece and the knowledge that you are not going to facce problems and bills in the near future - what do they propose to bring matters to a satisfactory conclusion?

As I think was said above it is important to hear their side of this.

Interestingly Mercury's new OB technology had primary design parameters around servicing and reliability - power to weight (for example) came down at number 5 if I remember correctly.

All the best and, if you don't get it sorted for the 18th, and I get out on Phaeton, you are welcome aboard.

To add to what have already been said, it seems the problem (or the major one) is with the agent and not suzuki. Try get some 'freebie' from the agent instead, like a free service, a loan engine until your's fixed. It wouldn't hurt complaining to suzuki themselves about they sh*te agent, and pointed out since you have missed out on nearly 2 months (and counting) of the use of your engine, that they would consider extending the warranty for a further 6 months (got to worth a try tongue.gif )?!

Also it's worth pointing out to the agent that you may seek redress thru the small claim court for your loss of enjoyment and time you have to spend dealing with their incompetence.

Be firm but also be reasonable, pointing out a loyal customer is worth his weigh in gold.

Whatever your choose, good luck.

Good news!!!

They have found the problem and the engine in up and running. Apparently, it was a problem with one of the small thermostatic valves that was causing the overheating.

And they are going to waive the cost of the service.