Digital Cameras

JIMBOB

Hi all

Im in the market for a new digi camera,I had a sony cybre-shot before until it got wet! :weep

The amount out there is overwhelming any good ones you guys have used? which ones do I avoid? Help please ive got up to about

Hi James

I have a Fuji sureshot 203, bit old now but I am sure they do an equiverlent.

I would suggest you go for as many pixels as possible and optical zoom rather than digital as this gives better quality.

Then go onto one of those compare prices web sites and see who is selling it at the best price. wink.gif

Hope this helps a bit

Coddy

cool.gif

I agree with Coddy- as many megapixels and as much optical zoom as you can afford.

The other thing to consider is what battery type.

The ones with built in rechargeable battery tend to be smaller.

Personally I went for one that takes normal AA batteries (Canon PowerShot A95). The cameras tend to be a bit larger, and the batteries don't last long compared to built in Lithium Ion ones, but if they go flat when you're out you can get AA's anywhere, whereas you might not have anywhere to plug in to charge up a Li-Ion one.

I have 3 sets of rechargeables, and if they all go flat when I'm out I can go into a shop and buy a packet of duracells.

Have a look at the digital camera reviews on: Computer Shopper They'll give you an idea of what to look for.

Hi James,

It depends what you want to use it for.

The more pixels, the bigger the image in terms of Megabytes.

The bigger the image, the less pictures you'll get on a memory card. You'll therefore need to buy bigger/more expensive or accept less pictures/

The bigger the image, the more manipulation you'll need to put something of sensible size on this site.

The bigger the image, the less you'll get on a backup DVD disk (etc).

The bigger the image, you more you might want a better printer to go with it.

However,

The bigger the image, the better the clarity, and the bigger you can blow a picture up to.

You pays your money etc...., but frankly, I'm no David Bailey, and would need to manipulate ALL fish pictures to even make them look vaguely edible! Cheap works for me.

Mike

You're better off spending a little bit more and buy a camera which doesn't use AA batteries as cameras tend to go through these at an alarming rate. More pixels doesn't necessarily equal a better picture. The experts say that if you have too many pixels on a small sensor the pictures become ' noisy.' This means they can be grainy. I think the limit is 4 million before this becomes an issue. I would check out this site before you buy. It's probably the best forum there is for photography.

clickety click

Simon.

ps. I personaly would go for the Canon Ixus range.

James,

Karen resently bought a waterproof digital camera that she uses for Kayaking. Its a Pentax Optio WPi. 6 Million Pixels. Takes beautiful photos. It has a 3x Optical zoom. Perfect for use on a boat. I think its the only waterproof digital camera on the market.

Not sure what the price was, but I think it was less than

James

I have just bought a digital SLR to get the quality. But cheap mega pixals won't give you a good picture. Most will take good shots out doors when ther is plenty of light. You need to get the most you can for your money and buy a good brand to get the quality of lens and speed of the image processing. Canon sony Nikon or olympus will all be good. Even if you buy 6 million pixels, your shots won't be any better than if you take in 3 million unless you blow them up to A4

I would look on the forums or even consider ebay for a cheaper nearly new branded

Good Luck

I use a Sony DSC S75 which is 3.3 Megapixels.

I have had this camera for around 4 years now and it takes superb crisp pictures ( mainly due to having a good lens. ). Also the battery last absolutely ages and at 3.3 Megapixels the highest res pictures come in around at 1 to 2 MB.

Other upside is you plug it into the PC and it is recognised without messing around with twain drivers or the like ( older/cheaper cameras you will

You could probably pick one up second hand for a good price.

Thanks chaps , but im still lost huh.gif

Adam what camera do you have?( I know it takes the bo@*?%$* shots)

I did find a supurb site ( infact if only there was a site like this for everything you wanted to buy!!!!!!!)

cameras.co.uk

Im thinking of a fuji finepix A345

or another sony

James

Admin edit: link didnt work fixed now cool.gifrolleyes.gif

Fuji has good pictures and the finepix programme is a doddle to use.

Any mag suggesting they need 6m is talking boll*cks, any 3m image print on 6x4 photo paper is crisp and detail (provided good camera and good printer to start with), and I doubt very much any publication print them out bigger than 6x4.