France Fined For Undersized Catches

Paul D

Guest Guest

Am delighted the EEC has finally acted, as I have been appalled by the undersized fish you see in all of the French supermarkets and fishmongers.

I don't know what mesh size they use over there, but there are bass for sale in the shops in Normandy and Brittany at 8" (20 cm), which makes a mockery of the proposed 45 cm limit over here. When you see 4" bream, scad and gurnard for sale it really drives home the mesh sizes that must be in use.

Personally, I think they should fine individual skippers for illegal meshes, and per undersized fish landed, but we all know the French government would term this "unworkable".

I still won't believe they will actually pay and enforce it until I see it, mind!

Mike

Rick Steins last programme showed the fish in the markets and some were tiny. It appears that they keep all they catch and there is a market for these small fish.

When you consider that the Dover lifeboat was called out to rescue a trawler which had snagged it's nets. The trawler was registered in Zeebruger.

Is it me or are we being taken for mugs??????

The articles reporting the fine also raise the question of whether it will be paid. There seems to be a prior assumption that France will simply ignore it wink.gif

Steve

What? France not paying their fine? Surely not?! French are such homourable people, not to mention a finding member of the European Union....... rolleyes.gif