Tomorrow 07:00 At Salterns

TomBettle

OK

If anyone wants I have a space for one to join me on a run to and from Southampton.

Itinary:

Leave at 07:00 sharp from Salterns on a Merry Fisher 655 (with heating fitted) to deliver to our Southampton office.

This boat is 100% uncommissioned and a couple of minor faults are apparent, but she seems to run fine and we will cruise round at around 14 knots.

Get to Southampton for around 09:00ish where you can have a relaxing coffee, nose around our other boats and do whatever you fancy while I have a brief sales meeting, performance review(! blink.gif !) and then return on a Merry Fisher 695.

Back to Salterns for late lunchtime.

Safety bag is carried with life jackets, flares etc.

The 655 is a little noisy as she still requires some sound proofing in the engine room.

If you fancy it, I would welcome the company. No fishing (sorry), but a fun trip although you will be hanging around for a little while at Southampton.

First person (if anyone weep.gif ) to say yes is very welcome.

Tom

Anyone else.....?

Going out for dinner now... ....to Loch Fyne (I am soooo Posh).

Will check again when I get back.

Assuming there will be a mad rush the first to say yes gets it.

Tom

Hi Tom

Sorry can't make 2morrow but would be interested in your thoughts on that posh sea food restaurant, often wondered wether to go there or not

Martin

Being part of a chain, Martin, if it's anything like the one in Oxford, it's absolutely superb. No criticism except on a very busy night, service can be a little slow but, hey, who's in a hurry on a night out. And buy their kippers to take away for your breakfast next day!

Terry B.

Well once again, guess I am going on my lonesome weep.gif

Loch Fyne was pretty good, but never quite as good as I would hope.

Terry, I used to go to the one in Oxford quite a lot and also the other (name slips my mind, but it was run by a friend) in St Clements.

Loch Fyne in Oxford was definitely better than this one, but my old mates was top dollar (except for the time we were all poisoned by the oysters sick.gif )

To all those who don't want to come for a lovely "summer" cruise tomorrow, but are more interested in Loch Fyne at Canford Cliffs:

2nd visit now, both times good, but not exceptional (you would expect exceptional by the prices).

First time had the Seafood Platter which was very tasty with the exception of the Lobster and Crab which tasted a bit like old cardboard due to being frozen and not fresh.

This time had the battered oysters to start (thought I'd try them as not a fan of oysters normally in the raw form).

Actually they were very nice, but had shrivelled to a bit of nothingness.

Next had the traditional fish pie. Not a spot on the old stuff I knock up at home with a bit of old Pollock or something. Mash was very watery, as was the sauce. Needs to be far creamier/cheesier than it was.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but am always a little dissapointed from some of these places.

I have been told about a really nice seafood restaurant in Poole somewhere and can't for the life of me remember the name.

NOW: Martin, you normally spend half your life in my office drinking coffee and openly admit the other half is doing little more than delivering paint and plaster to your team. How come you can't come tomorrow.

Arrrgh, sod it, your all a bunch of girly old whimps who can't take the cold.

Tom

(with his feet up by the fire)

tongue.gif

The first rule of a good seafood restuarant is fresh seaford. That bass delivered this morning which was caught yesterday isn't fresh!!! Why would the lobster and crab not fresh and frozen? Both will happily live in a walk in chiller, in a large washing up bowl with wet newspaper as duvet for a few days.

I love seafood, I have been to a few over the years but for one reason or another I no longer go there. Roman Post near Kings Worthy was good, so was the one (can't remember the one) in Romsey on the west side of Broadland. La Gonda in Salisbury used to be brilliant, there eels in creamy sauce was fantastic, but it went down hill when it changed chef.

Just a hint on the oysters.

If anyone want to try them raw but is not too keen on the slimy texture on your tongue, try blanching the oysters first. shell oyster like usual except you take it of both the shell. drop it in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds, it loses the slim but not the fresh taste inside, just ask either lemon juice or a few drops of tobasco.

Tom jibes......... girly old whimps who can't take the cold

Tom me ol' fruit cake, you got me to an exactitude.

However I 'spect come the balmy days of summer when the world is a warm comfortable place you wont give a toss for us girly old whimps and invite us then, will you? Oh no then you'll have long legged lightly tanned blond young real girlies begging to come along and us ol' gits wont get a look in.

Mad Mike

Oh no then you'll have long legged lightly tanned blond young real girlies begging to come along and us ol' gits wont get a look in.

Mad Mike

Mike

Have you been spying on me!

Of course you forgot to mention that those long legs go all the way up to their armpits, each one is a fully qualified geisha, to attend to my every need (whilst sipping G&T in the hot tup and on autopilot - See Jacks post).

Oh and they are in extremely skimpy bikini's.

....lastly, it in't just in Summer that I have hndreds of these beautiful girls onboard.

...Why do you think I only had room for one of you!

Tom

Went to Pebble Beach on New Years Eve and the food was great, but I did feel I was part of a Saga Holiday crowd.

..."Club 70 90".

Well, back from another trip with no company weep.gif .

Lovely journey around this morning, almost flat calm. Very cold! No problem, me thinks, I'll turn on the heating. Bugger it's broken.

The salt had barely cleared the ice off the windscreen when I arrived.

Coming back was a different story. Wind over tide through the Solent was OK. A bit like driving on cobbles, but nothing concerning.

Buggerme, coming around hurst and across towards Hengistbury Head reminded me of the Alderney Race in a big Noreaster. Poole Bay was lovely and flat and I caught the tail end of a snow storm calming past the piers.

Back to work!

Tom

That was me Simon.

Was wondering if that was you. You were motoring reasonable well and backed off slightly at the same time as I stopped outside the marina to put my lines and fenders out.

That was most definitely snow.

It was odd though. It didn't seem to be sweeping along in the wind. From Hurst I could see it over Bournemouth and through to St Albans Head. With the wind, I expected it to hit me around Christchurch, but it kinda hung there and I dorve to it, rather than it blew to me....

....am I rambling?

...I'll stop now... unsure.gif

Tom