Bass trip

biggcol

Our plan was to make the most of the weather on Wed, we had a rehearsal in the evening so couldn’t stay out too long. We planned to get to the boat for 0700hrs but we were ahead of schedule and we were off by 0645hrs. The plan was to head to a bank for bass drifting and anchor for the slack for an hour or so. First drift I hooked up with a fine 48cm bass, second drift which was slowing down I managed another bass of 51cm. So do we drift again or anchor we decided to anchor. We didn’t have any fresh mackerel but our frozen had only been in the freezer since last Tuesday. Down went the big baits on 6oz leads and then lighter rigs with worm. We had steady fish for an hour, congers, a Small Blonde and a few nice Bream. The tide was turning and we started upping the lead, once 10oz wasn’t holding we pulled up the hook and went back on the drift. We were back on the Bass straightaway and we were both hooking up on every drift. I spotted another boat heading in our direction and our thoughts were that a charter was heading to our bank, lucky for us it was Loobie iv. Gerry asked if we were  going to anchor or drift. I confirmed we were drifting for Bass. Gerry being the gent he is stayed over a different part of the bank to us, it didn’t seem he was doing as well as us so I told him to follow us on our drift as we were hitting fish each drift. Gerry called up saying that he had a problem with his engine monitoring or something like that. He decided to head inshore so we kept a listening watch in case he had any problems getting home. We carried on drifting and ended up with 24 bass the best 58cm. We headed back at 1330hr and stopped off on a Ray mark near Swanage. The baits were being stripped in minutes by Bream giving any Ray that might have been around no chance. We gave it an hour then headed back. It was a great day to be out and we had our quota of 4 bass all nice eating size.

3A8F22BC-0512-4F1F-A8D7-C0D22B3D6034.jpeg