48 Hour Comp

Manic Moore

cant tell you the plan gordon its a secret.

rich and mark have some secret plan which proberly includes weymouth.

we will be venturing out proberly friday and sunday for some serious fishing

sam

I will be fishing Friday, Sat and Sunday.

This wont be constant and is not set in stone, and will depend on the weather - if it is superb on Sunday I may head to the ripps....

More likely though: Friday night a short bassing/conger session on the ledge with Rach if the wind is light, with crew if it is above a F3.

Sat - short day/eve trip or no trip...

Sunday - Full day.

I will have made a plan by Thurs.

Adam, best get heads together for the ripps, as a few skippers have mentioned it, at least at the weigh in yesterday a few club boats stated they were nipping out there. We are indeed heading west, although the plan hasnt been stamped as TS, its pretty much not front tabloid stuff!

PS Turf tonight hoperfully

Rich

Adam,

Tides certainly look realistic for a trip out to the rips area with the flood running from around 7/8 in the morning good for an early launch/departure avoiding the crowds that will inevitably accompany the weather over the weekend..... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I am most likely to fish sessions Friday night and Saturday if the weather permits - probably have space for one if someone want's to contact me.

Duncan,

Having considered it, I am seriously considering the Rips on Sunday, the flood will be an hour later also...

Can we make a convoy? I know Loyal Royal wants to go, Maverick and yourself so that is 4 boats for safety, the long range (dangerous as it may be to look!) is looking good with light winds forecast with sun.

I will probably fish Fri eve with Rach, earn brownie points on Sat and then begin at the crack of dawn on Sunday, leaving Poole at say 6am.

The only thing that concerns me is the lack of knowledge of going 23 miles offshore with no numbers, tactics or back up marks etc....

What do others think?

May I suggest all of you check your policy that you can go out that far off shore, or at least has the option of extending on the day concerned. I just rang Porthcawl and their range is 20 miles off shore but they will extended if I put it in writing or send them an email.

I wouldn't mind going out with the group of boats but I have never gone out that far, I would profer someone with some (plenty) of experience.

Kam,

Im also with Porthcawl. I phoned them last year re this and they aksed I put it in writing. I stated that very occasionally I would be venturing outside coastal waters and also night use.

25 miles seems a long way to me, but as Charlie says a day round west can see me clocking 50 miles, so it aint a lot more.

Good point re insurance Kam (I think my Brest to Elbe restrictions ( rolleyes.gif ) cover the rips) and people should be aware of their cover limits.

Adam, for a number of reasons my preference would be for Saturday I am afraid - not least because if the conditions are good I would hate to find a front suddenly arriving on Sunday! Further reasons are that there wouldn't be any real contraints on getting back in if someone has a problem etc with Sat night/Sunday as a huge buffer. Realistically if I have a good session Fri/Sat I will head back for brownie points on Sunday...... sad.gif

There are also, as you suggest, options around the slack and ebb tides on the way back in, but it's going to require a fair length of anchor rope and some heavy gear to fish at anchor in that tide - nothing to big relative to the winter codding I suppose but I had hoped to have put the 2lb leads away 'till November! I am sure a quiet word with the some of the more experienced club members could illicit some suggestions and even numbers to try (? unsure.gif ?). It is certainly looking a reasonable forecast at the moment cool.gif

I also thought Loyal Royal had decided to base themselves at Weymouth for the weekend? Had planned to request position checks every so often to see if they were heading West of Portland!!! ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Alun - do you want to pm me when you think you will want to be out etc?

Valid points Duncan. I had reckoned on Sunday as: Will give me a gap between Fri eve and Sun to earn brownies (and not be 'fishing ALL weekend' as it was just put to me!) Martin also cannot do an early start Sat, but can Sunday - and just spoke to Mark, who is considering leaving Weymouth on Sat eve, and heading early to the Rips on Sun am. Would be nice to have a big boat along for company....