Overhead safety harness rail

Caughta Flounder

Hi guys, I am after advice...

I am considering installing/fabricating an overhead safety harness rail, to enhance balance but mainly for a bit of extra safety when out alone.  I can't seem to find anything out there, which makes me think there's a very good reason why?!?

I have seen the Hadrian safety rail but I want something overhead, has anybody ever seen or had something like an overhead safety rail?

Any advice appreciated!!

Luke.

Hi Luke

My only thoughts are that if the boat capsized and you are still attached to the rail, if your tether is not sufficiently long enough you will be held under water! :wacko:

Clipping onto side rails and the same thing happens your clip may well be only a foot or two under water but you are on the surface.

My concern would be that if the boat went down you could go with it, not nice :frown:

As far as I am aware fast yachts use the safety line for when crew are moving about on deck, if you are on your own I would never venture forward or going down the sides unless it was really calm and there was a real need to. Most jobs can be carried out in the main deck area without the need to put yourself in danger.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Had another thought about this and would suggest if fishing alone you always wear the engine safety cord, even if you are in a sheltered cabin.

Should you collapse or injury yourself when travelling, the boat would not be under any control but having the safety cord attached to you at least the engine would stop.

Not sure if you have a diesel inboard engine if the same applies but I am sure others in the club could comment on this.

I know on older craft the older engines you had to pull a lever to stop the engine so again how his might be done I am not sure.

Dave

I have strong webbing tapes secured to strong points on both side decks. My lifejacket has an integral harness, and I use a safety line to clip onto the webbing line when leaving the safety of the cockpit in boisterous conditions and moving forwards. The clip on the lifeline slides along smoothly, and doesn't restrict my movement.

I have a diesel engine, use autopilot a lot, and have no kill cord.

If I was out solo with this arrangement, there is a risk I'd be dragged along until something (or someone) stopped the boat, but I'd still be attached to the boat.

If I was with crew, I'd be spotted as missing, and I'd be attached to the vessel for the first stage of MOB recovery.

I consider it safer than watching the vessel disappear without me.

Thanks for the input Dave, Mike.

Very good point about the capsizing, not a great idea!  I have an outboard so engine kill cord is always on, but wouldn't prevent me falling out.

I have ordered some safety lines which I will clip to the hand rails using the D ring on the life jacket (a reminder for me to actually put it on).  Ok so it won't keep me IN the boat, but will at least keep me attached.  I like the webbing idea, especially as I have several reels of the stuff, may look into this in the summer!!

Cheers guys.

I have seen there is a new life jacket design that allows for the wearer to be towed backwards at speed. As an issue with falling over on a yacht is being dragged face down in the water, more than a few moments can cause injury. Which is something i hadn't thought of, esp useful if sailing single handed and clipped on.

I'll look for the link.

R