Bonus afternoon trip.

billy2shots

I have this week off of work and was planning at least two fishing trips. Unfortunately Monday and Tuesday were booked up with other commitments and the rest of the week looked windy!

There was nothing for it, packed the car and made some grub for the kids. Picked them up after school (well a cheeky 30 minutes early actually) and we were on our way to the boat.

The plan was to potter out to the end of the Swash and just drift the bay for the evening feathering for mackerel. 30 minutes in and we hit a shoal which so us land 5 in 30 seconds. The tide wasn't strong enough to fight against the opposite wind direction so we pretty much stayed still.

After an hour of very little the mrs asked why we weren't fishing for anything else. I reminded her we didn't have any bait (the 2 keeper Mack were heading for the BBQ). That's when she told me she had packed some frozen squid I had from a past trip.

Engine on and it was off to just outside Poole Patch.

Fished there for about an hour and a half and had 6 Bream (no keepers) and a nice Tub Gunard that took off like a scolded cat. It must have been knocking on the door of 5lb and was a great scrap on light rod and line.

So pleased we squeezed a last minute trip in, the evening was lovely and to catch a few fish was a bonus.

Edit. Ok 5lb may have been a little optimistic but the Tub was around 4lb all day long. At the time I remembered hearing tales of double figure Tubs from years gone by so didn't pay it a second thought. Looking back I should have taken some pics and or kept the fish as it seems a decent specimen. Oh well he lives to fight another day.