Wrasse and Bream advice

billy2shots

Heading out Saturday with the intention of plenty of fish to keep my young children happy. Looking at last weeks Spring Species Comp there are a few Wrasse and Bream around.

I'm still new to boating and sea fishing and up to now I've stuck to sandy bottoms and the relative safety that provides. With that comes the same species of each trip and I really fancy a change.

This is where things get rocky! I'm looking at target a few new species this weekend and the kids really fancy the look of wrasse and Bream. As such that dictates a location change.

This is where things get a little tricky and I guess I'm seeking advice and a confidence boost.

I'm thinking Poole Patch or Ballard to produce a variety of fish. Coming out from Poole harbour I usually stick to the end of the Swash, saddler and Dolphin Sands. Ballard would see me venture the furthest south I've been. I gather there can be a bit of a rip just off old Harry but in a 8m merry fisher with Saturdays conditions I should be fine, shouldn't I?

Obviously the Patch is much closer but the lobster pots and nets annoy me a fair bit. Am I right in thinking anchoring is trickier at the Patch as apposed to Ballard and the risk of anchor loss is greater?

The other big question is anchor or drift? Again I'm favouring Ballard because of the sea furniture resident on the Patch.

In short. Help!

Also, drift fishing with young kids is difficult. Especially over anything but sandy substrate.

If your anchor is set to trip with cable ties you should be fine if it slips into the rocks or under a pot rope.

The rip off of old Harry is dependent on conditions. With wind over tide, size of tide etc.

But as skipper it is your call. Many have been through it when sloppy, many go round it. The choice is yours. Nothing more exciting than green water on the windows, if you have any that is!!

Rob

We are out on Saturday and may well go to Poole Patch. If we are not there we will be at Dancing Ledge but that is a fair way south west.

Will keep an eye open for you, what's your boat name? Our boat name is Madness

La Fiona.

Will be out between 10-4 I imagine. If you see us, send some fish our way!

The main tip when fishing at the patch is to use as smaller hooks as possible.

We use 6s and less. We use a one up snood which is the same length as the sinker. This means the bait is down on the bottom at all times which is very important when fishing for mini species and Bream.

Also, as the other guys have explained it is best with juniors on board to anchor away from the main structures. However, for best results, cast away from the boat and slowly retrieve, pause and then retrieve again and keep doing this. This will certainly attract Bream and other species. 

If you feel you have become snagged, let some line out and wait for a bite. In most cases the fish has taken your tackle into a structure. They will soon come back out again if you give it some slack. My thirteen your old son has learned this and last Monday he must have snagged at least a dozen times and every time he gave some slack and the fish was on. He never lost any tackle.

I got snagged just the once, became impatient and lost the lot!!!!!

You should only need to use 2 to 3 oz  leads depending on the tide and the type of line you are using. If you are using braid then 2 oz leads will be enough.

The more you fish the patch the less tackle you will loose. Make sure you take enough.

Good luck,

Greg

The main tip when fishing at the patch is to use as smaller hooks as possible.

We use 6s and less. We use a one up snood which is the same length as the sinker. This means the bait is down on the bottom at all times which is very important when fishing for mini species and Bream.

Also, as the other guys have explained it is best with juniors on board to anchor away from the main structures. However, for best results, cast away from the boat and slowly retrieve, pause and then retrieve again and keep doing this. This will certainly attract Bream and other species.

If you feel you have become snagged, let some line out and wait for a bite. In most cases the fish has taken your tackle into a structure. They will soon come back out again if you give it some slack. My thirteen your old son has learned this and last Monday he must have snagged at least a dozen times and every time he gave some slack and the fish was on. He never lost any tackle.

I got snagged just the once, became impatient and lost the lot!!!!!

You should only need to use 2 to 3 oz leads depending on the tide and the type of line you are using. If you are using braid then 2 oz leads will be enough.

The more you fish the patch the less tackle you will loose. Make sure you take enough.

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks for the great advice.

I used to regularly fish tight to snags in my carp fishing days. Many a fish found their way out of the snags given enough patience. 45 minutes of waiting banked by biggest common carp (38lb). In my younger days I would have given in and pulled for a break!