Anchor advise..

mrw

I`ve had trouble in the past dragging my anchor when out in deeper waters, was out Sunday made "school boy" error set anchor just after slack water and never checked it.

Must have dragged it straight into the wreck there was no way it was coming up tried everything, just would not give it up, ended up snapping the rope ! "there was a chaffed section and was meaning to sort it" 

So need new anchor, need advise on size, (22ft odd Quicksilver) was thinking 10kgs Bruce ?  length of chain ? guess 200m of rope would do ?  and is there any decent local suppliers ? 

Thanks

Gary.

Gary there are lots of factors to anchoring, all of which become all the more important in depths over 70 feet and spring tides.

I had a quicksilver 640 and found a 7.5 kg bruce to be a good anchor size for the boat. Before Niggle says anything, I used to have a 7.5kg Bruce long story.

You need 6mm chain, depending on how you retrieve, through a gypsie  on a boat of that size it would normally be 6mm. Two boat lenghts will be enough.

You might struggle to get more than 150mtrs of rope in your locker, if you use a bin then 200 mtrs.

Be careful over rocky ground because to much chain on a slack tide when you drop can pile up, then wrap around rocks and get caught, as I know only to well, slowly reversing can put an angle in the decent of the anchor and chain when dropping at slack tide. 

You should always trip your anchor ie attach the top eye on the anchor with cable ties and use the eye nearer the business end to attach the chain with a shackle.

The reason for this is, if the anchor gets stuck in, the force applied by the boat will break the ties and lift the anchor out from the back end.

Quite often it's the chain that gets caught and that's a whole different ball game, if you remember the way you swung on anchor then try to reverse the process or more importantly in rocky areas, lift and re anchor on the change of the tides, especially Poole patch and Christchurch ledge.

When paying out rope, check the angle of the rope when the tension straightens the rope, in deep water the rope should be at a shallow angle, the more rope out of the water the better when anchoring in deep water, up to 5 times the depth. If the rope is at an acute angle you haven't payed out enough rope.

The cheapest way to buy 200mtrs of rope, 12mm 3 strand nylon  is on line, they will also supply the anchor and chain and if you specify they will splice the chain to the rope.

Good luck 

Mal.

Be careful many injuries occur whilst anchoring, it is one of the most dangerous activities on a fishing boat.

Gary

Sorry to hear that you have lost your anchor, all of us that fish the wrecks have done it mate.

Although I have never had one I am led to believe from good sources that a delta anchor or even a copy hold better than the Bruce and its copies.

chain must be at least as long as the boat and a fair bit heavier than the anchor if lifting with an Alderney ring.

Quay West chandlers here at the Yacht Club are a good source, ask for Club discount and Peter will look after you. 01202 732233

Charlie

Thank you for advise and the generous offer Nigel  :)

Been on interweb and think I`ve found it all at a good price, just going to check against the local chandlers before ordering.

And will stay away from that bloody wreck for a while  :rolleyes:

Gary

Gary

Sorry to hear that you have lost your anchor, all of us that fish the wrecks have done it mate.

Although I have never had one I am led to believe from good sources that a delta anchor or even a copy hold better than the Bruce and its copies.

chain must be at least as long as the boat and a fair bit heavier than the anchor if lifting with an Alderney ring.

Quay West chandlers here at the Yacht Club are a good source, ask for Club discount and Peter will look after you. 01202 732233

Charlie

I've had Deltas before and yes they do hold well, but too well on The Ledge!  I lost 2 there before changing over to a Bruce and since then no lost anchors.

Just a thought, if you fish craggy ground ....