Redfinn Advert

Bob F

i dont understand why anyone would want a redfinn there horrible looking boat.

did anyone see that probeagle in boat fishing monthly it looked as dead as a dodo.

why would you want to kill it what you guna do with it, it seems such a shame.

sam

Yes, it was our friend at Wick - just what I was thinking.

Nice letter, Im sure he wrote it off his own back, and a good advert for redfinn too.

Im also not keen on the look of the boats, but you have to admt the stats on the boat look very good.

Adam

yeah the stats are very good but i got two major problems with it.

1) i dont think it should have an inboard for such a small boat think of all the room it takes up who ever thought of that.

2) the look of it i really dont like the cabin, not very nice looking sick.gif

sam

Sam,

I agree, but - the inboard is much more efficaint that the outboard, one main reason, it gives it a higher top speed, and it doesnt actually take up that much room - you can also have a std outboard if you wish.

2ndly - The cuddy is not attractive, I must agree, similar to the Raider IMHO, but it serves the purpose and it must be hard to please everyone.

I wouldnt buy one, but I reckon they are a good boat.

Adam

Without knowing what engine he had on the 500, any comparision is meaningless. Don't forget he's now a Yammy 60 4 stroke on the back of his Redfinn.

Technologies on outboard engines have advanced a lot in the last 10 years, a 2 stroke outboard of that era will drink a lot more petrol than a modern 2 stroke, so much so, an Evinrude Etec 2 stroke betters most 4 stroke of the same horse power, with the Tohatsu TLDi coming a close second.

Nevertheless the Redfinn is designed to to economical. It has incoporated a set of 'trim tabs' 1/2 the length of the boat. It helps the boat to get on the plan faster than most with its massive tabs.

I personally quite like the look of the Redfinn, it's 60's bubble futuristic, plasticky look. cool.gif

There was a recent report in one of the mags,

That seems to agree with Sam

The new owner of the boat found the engine took a lot of space and he needed to add some cushion to the back of the cabin after banging his head on it.

All boats are a bit of a compromise, but that one has not got enough plus points for my liking either.

Charlie

Guest fish finger

I agree that the redfin cuddy looks a bit wierd and also the boat has ugly fins on the side of the boat which just make it look weird. They are supposed to increase stability though. I also agree with sam that an inboard would take up too much room on a boat that size. Apart from its looks i could imagine it to be quite a good fishing boat.

Picture of the redfin with its 'fins'

user posted image

I struggle with phrases like an inboard is more efficient than an outboard -

generally the OB will transfer a greater % of the engines crakshaft HP to the propshaft than an outdrive and match, or better, it's ability to bring this efficiently into play in driving the boat. The shaft drive inboard configuration can, depending on gearbox, transfer an even greater % of crankshaft HP to the prop but looses all this advantage and more through the lack of drive trim.

If however we are comparing engines.......... rolleyes.gif

I absolutely agree re the intrusion of an engine box in a small cockpit - I reckon that Phaeton's right on the limit (at a boat of 25ft x 9ft) for usefullness to put things on v getting in the way but have noticed that some anglers bring bigger tackle boxes than some engine boxes!