New bass regulations

kippercave

I recently wrote a letter to my MP Michael Tomlinson pointing out all the issues especially that the Gill Netters are getting away with murder, that this is for financial reasons and nothing to do with saving the bass.I further pointed out that this would  seriously effect the angling businesses,shops and charter boats etc.

I received a letter back which he clearly wrote himself.He first stated that it was important that a healthy stock of fish,including bass, was maintained.He said that stocks of other fish has increased but more must be done to protect bass stocks.

He realised that the exemptions on gill netting creates a difficulty because of the restrictions on recreational  anglers.

He said he was very happy to pass on my  comments to Julie Girling MEP who is heavily involved in such matters in Brussels

Finally he said  that we must get the balance right between protecting fishing  stocks and the fishing industry  and also the ability of recreational anglers to continue participating in the hobbies that they enjoy.BULLSHIT.

I am forwarding the above because if we wish to get anywhere we must all write to our local MPs.If we do this they will do something about it.Must MPs will not know anything about it.Once they know that anglers are outraged  including the angling industry they will might do something about it.Remember they rely on our VOTES.

Get your pens out.

ADDRESS

Name

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

PS Did you see the EU Commission on the TV who was the Chairman of the committee that made the Regs.He openly stated when asked that the commercial gill netters jobs were more important.HOW ABOUT THE POOR OLD BASS.

Kipper

URGENT!  House of Commons Debate on Bass

Scott Mann, MP for North Cornwall and a keen recreational angler, has done a fantastic job in securing a three hour back-bench debate on bass in the House of Commons at 2.15pm on Thursday 11 February entitled: "Conservation of sea bass and the effect of related EU measures on the UK recreational fishing industry.”

The motion to be moved is: "This House believes that the recent EU restrictions on recreational bass fishing are unfair and fail to address the real threat to the future viability of UK bass stocks".

This is a rare and very important opportunity to influence the future of recreational bass angling by getting our arguments for a sustainable bass fishery heard in detail by key decision-makers.

Please write to your MP asap asking them if they would please attend the debate at 2.15pm on Thursday 11 February and speak in support of:

1. a bass fishery run to maximise the environmental, social and economic benefits for society as a whole, by giving priority to recreational bass angling; and
  2. introducing revised measures that reduce bass mortality by restricting (rather than increasing) harmful commercial harvesting methods such as gill netting and instead promote sustainable methods such as hook & line fishing for both the commercial and recreational sectors. 

You can email your MP easily by following the Writetothem link below.  Please make sure you include in your message the link to the Angling Trust Fishing Lines briefing on bass, so your MP is fully informed.

A few minutes of your time to send a brief email could make all the difference.

https://www.writetothem.com

Link to the Angling Trust’s paper on bass:  bit.ly/1PXawop

PS: if your MP confirms they will be attending, could you please let us know by emailing us at info@saveourseabass.org   Many thanks!

Want to change how you receive these emails?

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

9315ff78-4b5a-48d8-84c6-0952b7b2f877.jpg

Here's a reply from my MP - no support there - just following the party line for a quiet life.

Dear Mr Cooper, Thank you for contacting me about recreational sea angling.  I understand how important this is to life and Ports like Poole.

I appreciate your frustration over the moratorium that has been imposed on catching and keeping seabass in the first six months of the year. Having looked into this, I have been assured that at the December meeting of the European Fisheries Council the UK’s main concern was to agree measures that will allow bass fishing to become sustainable by 2018, and the package agreed puts us on the right path to do so.

The UK fought for, and secured, agreement that recreational catch-and-release is still permitted throughout the six-month moratorium period. This means that anglers and charter vessels can continue sport-fishing throughout the year, and will only be prohibited from keeping the fish they catch. In the second half of the year there will be a daily limit of one fish per person.

In considering restrictions on commercial fishing, Ministers had to consider the impacts of the different methods. Gillnets perform relatively well at taking bass of the right size, whereas drift nets are estimated to account for up to 90 per cent of all bass taken by nets. That’s why the UK pressed for drift nets to face a full 6 month closure, while allowing a limited derogation for fixed gillnets.

I understand it was necessary to agree EU-level measures for bass in this way because we share the fishery with other European countries, and they need to be fully signed up if we are to achieve stock recovery. There is now a firm timetable to achieve sustainable fishing of bass by 2018, and I believe that has to be the priority. 

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Robert Syms MP

here's my reply thanking me for the email about Fracking!!? - wrong

Hi Tobias,

It look's like everyone is relying on you to represent us, with no meps attending i might as well vote to leave Europe, then the meps will have loads of time

Paul

Dear Mr Jennings

I do apologise, we have received a huge amount of emails regarding Bass Fishing and Fracking over the last couple of days and it would appear your email was misplaced.  My apologies once again.

The message does still remain the same however, the debate regarding bass fishing in the UK on 11th February is taking place in the House of Commons and as a Member of the European Parliament Mrs Girling is unable to attend.  We therefore urge you to contact your local MP, Tobias Ellwood, who is best placed to put forward your views.  His contact details are:

Parliamentary

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Tel: 020 7219 4349

Fax: 020 7219 0946

Email: tobias.ellwood.mp@parliament.uk

Constituency

Bournemouth East Conservative Association, Haviland Road West, Boscombe, Bournemouth, BH1 4JW

Tel: 01202 397047

Email: becaoffice@btconnect.com

My apologies once again for my error.

Kind regards

Linda Teague

PA to Julie Girling MEP

-----Original Message-----

From: Paul Jennings [mailto:pauljennings27@virginmedia.com]

Sent: 09 February 2016 19:22

To: GIRLING Julie

Subject: RE: Letter from your constituent Paul Jennings

My email is not about fracking!!!

On 9 Feb 2016 17:09, GIRLING Julie <julie.girling@europarl.europa.eu> wrote:

> Dear Mr Jennings

> Thank you for your email regarding fracking in the UK.

> As this is a UK Government decision and not something that the European Parliament, of which Mrs Girling is a member, is able to rule on, we would urge you to contact your local MP, Tobias Ellwood, who is best placed to help you with this issue.  His contact details are:

> Parliamentary

> House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

> Tel: 020 7219 4349

> Fax: 020 7219 0946

> Email: tobias.ellwood.mp@parliament.uk

> Constituency

> Bournemouth East Conservative Association, Haviland Road West,

> Boscombe, Bournemouth, BH1 4JW

> Tel: 01202 397047

> Email: becaoffice@btconnect.com

> We are sorry not to be able to help on this occasion.

> Yours sincerely

> Linda Teague

> PA to Julie Girling MEP

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Paul Jennings [mailto:pauljennings27@virginmedia.com]

> Sent: 09 February 2016 08:07

> To: GIRLING Julie

> Subject: Letter from your constituent Paul Jennings

>                                

>                                     Email:

>                                       pauljennings27@virginmedia.com

>                                     Tuesday 9 February 2016

> Dear Julie Girling,

> would please attend the debate at 2.15pm on Thursday 11 February and

> speak in support of:

> a. a bass fishery run to maximise the environmental, social and

> economic benefits for society as a whole, by giving priority to

> recreational bass angling; and b. introducing revised measures that

> reduce bass mortality by restricting (rather than increasing) harmful

> commercial harvesting methods such as gill netting and instead promote

> sustainable methods such as hook & line fishing for both the

> commercial and recreational sectors.

> Yours sincerely,

> Paul

Simple solution !

BAN the sale and consumption of Bass on commercial premises for the next 10 years !!

We can allow the closing of STEEL PLANTS; How many jobs ?

We can allow the closing of COAL MINES; How many jobs ?

Close commercial Bass fishing: How many jobs ?

Nearly every harbour and estuary in the UK is a nursery area, for who's benefit ?

How do you tell the difference between farmed and wild when it's on a slab in a fishmongers or on a plate in a restaurant or pub ?

Someone somewhere is taking the p!ss !!