Annual Spring Weymouth Trip

Adam F

Finally, spring is only round the corner, and we can begin to think about the eagerly awaited spring trip down to Weymouth.

Im looking at Sunday 17th April at the moment, as the begining of the month is already pretty full - and this should allow us time for the flatties to get into full swing.

The arrangements will be as previosu years - but for those who dont know, we try to get as many boats as possible to join us for a day on the Shambles chasing flatties. We will meet on the slipway in Weymouth at 7.00/7.30am.

Post here if you fancy it!

Adam

Not wanting to be pedantic. The Post description says "Club Trailaway trips", which I would take for PBSBAC members. But it says for "Registered members of the forum". So does that mean all or just fully paid up members? I wouldn't mind going on that!

The only slip I know of in weymouth is located in the upper/inner harbour above the bridge. Opposite the multi storey car park. Ok slip with parking for the trailer but not the car. Been told that the size you can launch is limited, but I've launched my 21 footer there before.

Thats the one that would be used for this event, unless others know better and I've got it totally wrong!

Thanks for the response. It promises to be a good day, weather permitting.

To clarify a few things.

1.) You dont have to be a member to come along on the trail-aways, anyone is welcome and we will make you feel right at home, although joining the club is an advantage - for instance we will have your boat details and names, so talking on VHF channel 6 becomes much easier and also safer.

2.) Yes the slip is the one below the bridge in the town centre. Their is no sixe limit, infact you could easily launch a 40' not problem. Trailer park is alos provided, but car parking is a nighmare and requires a 10 minute walk.

3.) Finally, The Shambles bank is approx 7 miles offshore. It is suceptable to big tides and the wind and can very quickly turn nasty. Im not wanting to put people of - the reverse infact, but those with small open boats may be better finding a crew space on a larger vessel for safety - just a bit of advice.

Adam

However, found out 17th April is the day after my friend's wedding ( the one whose stag night I am missing to go to Burnham ! ). Therefore, will be provisionally going, dependant upon time of return from Portsmouth. ( although Shambles trip is that good, I can always sleep for a few drifts smile.gif )

Finally, The Shambles bank is approx 7 miles offshore. It is suceptable to big tides and the wind and can very quickly turn nasty. Im not wanting to put people of - the reverse infact, but those with small open boats may be better finding a crew space on a larger vessel for safety - just a bit of advice.

Adam Well done you posted exactly what I have been thinking.

Bob Sean also had an email, great minds and all that laugh.gif

Newboy Yes membership is still just

Another point:

If anyone wants to come, but either doesnt have a trailed boat, is moored in Poole and too far / slow to steam round or just doesnt have a boat but still want to come - then no problem!

We always need crew to fill the trailered boats and will always fit you in.

Adam

I would like to bring Sweet Honey alomg, but I have never fish the Shambles before plus I have only done some drifting for flatties on a chartered boat, in the safety of Dolphin bay, I will need someone with lots of experience in the area to crew for me.

Kam,

Go for it. I had never done any drift fishing first time I went and all I knew was that you needed a lump of lead / old fold up anchor to slow the drift down.

My daughter crewed for me and we still managed to catch a plaice.

( albeit of miniscule size ).

I learnt a lot that first trip and now know I need longer leader / slower drift etc.

Second time I went, managed to catch a plaice whilst everyone else was Bass fishing.

At slack water you can feather up launce, so bring some hokeyes as launce can be had on these ( good for bait ).

Can get a little hairy when the tide is running hard - just reel up before you run off the end of the bank ( roughens up at the edges of the bank ) but on the bank I had no trouble in the Orkney, so Sweet Honey will be fine.