56lbs

bliss2

The reason i need 2 x 56lbs weights is one is to help blance the boat as my boat weigh 7.5 ton's and leans to one side a little and the other one is needed for driffing reasons. i am happy to buy them just can't find any where. i have seen load's in the RNLI and the market traders seem to get them.

I think Jack was recommending the water container for the boat ballast rather than the drifting weight!!!!  smile.gif

You're 100% right Duncan !!! ie. some racing yachts are water ballasted.

But to also answer Newboy's question re will it float? Yes.

So; no need to carry a container of water just drag it thru the water. smile.gif

Cheers - Jack

i dont no about the drifting wait

it wrecks the bottom for the fish dad was telling me how there used to be loads of place on the shambles until somebody started dragging a wait then everybody else followed and wrecked the bottom and slowed down the number of place being caught.

i think it is a bad idea to be honest drifting with a big weight dragging across the bottom

sam

dad was telling me how there used to be loads of place on the shambles until somebody started dragging a wait

Sam

Or could it be the actual fishing pressure. When fishing on the shambles there is always loads of boats taking plaice, once counted well over 40 boats all after the same prey.

Food for thought though

Martin

As Martin says it may just be that dragging a weight allows more people to fish it for longer and on bigger tides then Peter, and such a Mark must have a limit on how much stock it can hold relative to how many rods are targetting that stock.

Shame because it was such a good mark, that said I believe it is still well worth a visit or two.

I am sure that the Weymouth boats still do very well out there, and our trailer boats had some nice fish in 2004. biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

The Skerries mark is fished out of sight by hundreds of boats, and this still seems to produce fish every year. Last time I fished it, with Lloyd Saunders, we all had at least two Plaice each, and a local friend down there tells me it still fishes well.

Hopefully, sense will prevail, and spawners will be returned, with only one or two fish taken for the table. It would be interesting to approach Southampton University with a view of getting hold of average spawning ages/sizes for species around our coastline. I may E-mail them.

Rich