Two tackle sets

boybilly

dry.gif Here is a quandary for you all. I have just been in my shed to get ready for Sunday and realised the amount of tackle one collects over the years. If you had to choose just two sets (one for light and one for heavy) what would your choices be and why? Just imagine the space we would have. cool.gif

Hi Billy

I would keep my Conolon 8-12lb downtider and Uptider.

It would be a hard choice between the two uptiders, I have a Conolon and Penn, the Penn is old but has done sterling work and shows most bites but the ABU is new and I am just getting used to it.

Reels, I still like my old but very tatty Shakespear Neptune and the Penn 535GS

I have never owned or tried a really expensive rods or reels to see what differences, if any, they would have.

It is all the hooks, leads, trace line etc that takes up all the room.

Coddy

cool.gif

I will definitely keep my Fladen 6' tele rod matched to a small shakspeare fixed, can take it anywhere. Heavy wise, 20lb powerstick with an Okuma 30L.

I have a small selection of other tackles, and even smaller collection of weigh, when compare to the bucket load some of you carry ohmy.gif

I too have a stupid amount of tackle - which I am reminded of by Rach on a regular basis!....I even juts bought another rod...a Penn Giller Thriller...just cus' it was cheap! ph34r.gif

Right, 2 outfits:

My 12lb Conlon downtider...the best rod I have ever owned, and I love it to pieces. This would have my Shimano Charter Special 1000 on it.

Heavy rod would probably be my Penn Forumla 10k matched with an Okuma Titus Gold.

....by then again, my 30lb and 50lb Abu's come close and the other reels all have a place.....their you go! Thats why we have SOOO much bloody gear!! biggrin.gif

ron thompson downrigger - 8ft 6in 10-25lb (but it's basically light) with Calcutta 400s / 14lb fireline

Wallmart 'special' - 7ft 20-40lb (basically stiff) with Penn 25GLS LD 35lb fireline

On this basis I doo seem to have a bit of gear 'spare'!

I to seem to have a load of gear, plenty of it bought "For the kids dear" which explains why I have duplicates of a lot of gear.

My two favorites without doubt are

Team Diawa Uptider matched with ABU 7000c

This is good for all sorts of boat fishing from inshore to reef conger/tope and has caught many good fish

NorthWestern Carbon Kevlar 30lb class roller tip with Shimano TLD 15 or TLD20 and 30lb braid line

Happy to tackle anything that swims in Club Waters with this one, long flexible rod with a bit of guts when required

Would not throw the rest away though

Charlie biggrin.gif

Just picked up my new Penn Giller Thriller.

Very eager to try it out. I have bought it as I find normal uptiders just too long in a 16' boat. The PGT is 8'6" so a much better length. It is rated at 16lb class so softer than alot of other uptiders, so will double up for other uses also.

The finish is pretty good, although not up to the standard of the Formula class rods. The butt especially is aweful and lets the rod down. Chunky, cheap reel seat and too long, no thought has gone into this. I will strip mine down and re-build it using fuji gear.

Ill let you know how it performs shortly!

AF