First time out in the boat tomorrow

Retrowagon

Been planning out first trip out in our boat tomorrow and all I can hear is rain on our conservatory :0(

Spent all week sorting out life jackets, vhf, fishfinder, GPS, new bilge pump hose, sorting out electrics, charging battery, buying 2stroke, buying another fuel tank, buying fuel, checking anchor, buying flushing muffs, connectors, and hose.......

And now it looks like the weather looks rough ...... Not a good day today let's hope tomorrow is better

Well what a day decided to take the boat out today.

Loaded all the stuff you need for a great time so I'm told .... Lol

We get to baiter at low tide (good planning eh) have to push the trailer to the end of the very slippy slip way

And the boat still isn't floating so push it 10ft more into the water and she floats.

The engine which I was worried about starting started second pull, so we was off

Got to the pier off brownsea after nearly running aground

And the heavens opened so we headed back.

When we got back the coastguard was waiting at the end of the slip ..... Uh oh what have I done wrong ???

Thankfully he drove off.

So we have succeeded in going out in the boat got wet and came home.

So we now know how too or not to go out in bad weather .....

But we did love it and we are looking forward to the better weather.

:0)

Haven't launched there for a few years, but it can be hairy. Swell /small waves either generated by the weather or other crafts, often jet skis messing about sometimes caused boats to lift off their trailers/ difficulty when trying to put boats on trailers. Saw a fair few with crafts between the wheel arch and the trailor side due to the above.

When it is busy you often get two crafts on at a time. You have probably seen it over low, do not assume if you go off the concrete that it is the same level. There can be a drop off on the edge and it is sometimes quite soft. More than one trailer loaded with a boat has finshed up at an angle with one wheel on the concrete and the metal trailer base stuck firmly on the slipway edge.

I was always advised to make sure there was at least a meter of water at Poole Bridge. Another problem can be piles of sand/shingle etc. after storms etc. which can occasionally be quite deep and prevent launching. If you can get out early and return after the crowds, it could be worth considering a season ticket. Make sure you only park your trailer in the designated area otherwise, you will get a ticket. If you do wash down/flush the engine on your return the hoses often disappear and the screw fittings on the taps are larger than the normal domestic ones (someone will know the size).

I once towed a boat out on quite a long rope with the crew walking alongside for safety. This was for two reasons. Firstly,for safety as some off the cyclists think they are competing in the Tour de France and have been known to hit taut ropes and come off at speed. Secondly, the crew have small chocks to put under the wheels to stop the boat or help hold it in position if there are rope or tow vehicle problems. If you do tow on a rope across the path into the car park, go slowly even if the vehicle stops, the boat may carry on moving. Crew can also help here. 

My wife and I used to regularly walk our old dog down there and watch boats launching. The most common problems we saw were jockey wheels not wound up, ropes breaking and ropes tied to tow hitches which pulled off. No doubt others will add their own notes of caution.

Good luck with your fishing. Will probably see you out there.

Allan.

Sounds like a few lessons were learnt in your first trip

Always good to have a good idea of the tide times around here, as the harbour is big but generally not that deep.

Also keep an eye on weather sites like wind guru, so that you can see what you may encounter whilst afloat, believe me the lads going to Alderneylwill be very carefully checking both over the next 10 days

The best advice i can give with boat launching is make sure you are communicating with every one involved and take it slow.

we launched our warrior 175 for a decade from some very difficult slipways(v steep, straight into the entrance of langstone harbour with tide pushing across, beaches in wales etc) but our only major issue was at portland marina which is one of the easiest to use i have seen.

essentialy due to complacency and mis communication i ended up skinny dipping in march! Not fum

A checklist is handy for boat launches and recoveries, especially if it not a very regular event.

I wrote one out after reversing the trailer down the slipway with the towing board still attached. It never did work very well after that....

I had the same thing when I trailed [after i left the bung out once]

Dave (Coddy) has a number of check lists including some RNLI ones and some that I made up based on a compilation of other peoples' and my own experience which are worth a look at.as well as a few others that are very good they could be a good starting point for your own.

Watching the weather and not taking chances as well good communication are vital as others far more experienced than my self have said. Another thing I was told to do was to "get to know the Harbour" I am still doing this. I assume you have a compass/chart or hand held GPS or perhaps a phone App (not recommended as the only means of navigating or outside the harbour.) Signals are easily lost.

I am sure a lot of us have anecdotes to tell about running aground, forgetting the bung- do you carry a spare?  A fold down ladder can also be usefull and something like a small fold down plasic pipe/flag attatched to the trailer mudguards that sticks up can help centering on the rollers .In my own case the classic was launching a boat and then taking it out again because the engine wouldn't start. I had put the key in, but failed to connect the kill cord. I also used to carry a full spare fuel line assembly and bulb and the old trick, if the plastic end on the kill cord breaks -worth carrying a spare- wrap fishing line round the switch to pull it out.

Allan.

I have had many issues launching boats and quickly came to the conclusion, with wife's help, that a good steep slipway with plenty of water and protection from cross winds is essential, where she can stand on the side and hold the rope.

As such we got a season ticket for Cobbs Quay, which we thought was worth it because of the number of arguments we avoided, and happily launched our boat there for many years.

It is expensive, but if you use the boat regularly it beats launching at Baiter with no water, cross winds and tides and PWC drivers parking on the slip.

Hope you continue to enjoy your boating what ever way you choose to make it wet

Tony

Cobbs also gets my vote.

Before moving to dry storage at Rockley, I used to have an annual pass for Cobbs.

Steep enough to launch and recover without unhitching the trailer and no need to get the car tyres wet.

I just renewed my Cobb's pass.

I'll need to use the boat a few times to feel happier about the expense.

Jacqui's beginning to enjoy boating a bit more ( when the sun's shining ) so maybe we'll get some use this year.

Jim

Cobbs would be my choice as the best available locally. However, I am told parking of trailers can be very problematic now the Life Boats are there,especially in Summer. If you are happy to leave early and return late you should not have problems. When I had my old Alaska and Orkney 525 at Cobbs, I used to try and avoid the 4.30 Bridge Time (I had no problems getting under the bridge) but was nearly swamped coming passed the Ferry a few times. That was often the most popular time for the slip way. Talk to Cobbs and ask for a trial run, they will probably do it as a special rate.

Allan.