The day of the blue

Rob

Shark fever has struck the club. Not wanting to be left out, though one of the smallest boats in the club, I bought the gear for making some heavy traces up!

I had taken my Ray fishing (now shark fishing) rods with us to Dartmouth, the intention was that these 30lb class rods would be great for sport for sharks.

I had some info from Neil at Bournemouth Fishing Lodge, as he had recently been to salcome on Random Harvest.

So, we has some family days on the boat, some mackereling, potting etc. Wednesday my longest friend and fishing buddy NickT came over to Dartmouth for a days sharking!

We headed out, found mackerel and plenty of them. Then we started the 13mile journey to our drift site. We drifted for 5+ miles, mincing and rubby dubby scaking and making maccy soup all the way! 5 miles of drift and neary 5 hrs, choppy sea, F3 / F4 and the tide hadnt turned as I had hoped to push us back homeward. We decided to pack up and have an hour on the blondes before home. One rod in, feathers in and screaming run!!!!!! (This time it was not a gull (we had 4 or 5).

Nick had picked the rod with the red ballon, and this was on the red! I set the hook and passed him the rod, after 5+ mins of screaming deep runs I saw a shape 20ft down in the clear water. It was a blue! Sat side on facing the tide, beautiful!

Nick was surprised as I donned some gloves and advised it was coming onboard! The long thick trace was so easy to handle, my crimps held and we had ourselves a blue onboard after a careful tail and dorsal lift.

Nick got too close and lost part of his trousers, luckily the lower end by his ankle!!!

We did not have a sling onboard and we wanted to return her. We measured her, so if anyone has some size to weight tables for blues, I would be grateful.

I estimated that she was 40-50lb. As they are quite slender compared to tope. And she was at least a 1/3 of the length of the boat!

Nick held her tail for a good 10 mins next to the boat, she was relaxed and didn't struggle (as I put the rods out again!).

He let go and she very slowly headed down with a waft of her tail, amazing!

We fished on for another hour, but only a bird made us leap up with hearts pounding! The drift had headed north and then back home.

Then I looked on the plotter, with the drift and the initial starting point, we had a long way to get home, 21miles and a sloppy horrible sea!

In the morning I had been to the petrol station and bought 2 x 5litre cans with fuel as backup. I put the backup in the main tank (which was low) and connected the full reserve.

The reserve got us 1/2 mile from the entrance of the Dart, hooked up the 12/15 litres in the main tank and we were back for 20:30 in the dark. The takeaway curry beat us by 10 mins, and was well deserved!

Ah.......I thought holidays were supposed to be relaxing!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378373552.904040.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378373580.834789.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378373593.801417.jpg

Small boats rule OK!!!

Though JV would have been more suitable for the journey back to port!!!!!

Don't underestimate the tiddlers! Inc yakkers, as I think JoJo is only a foot and a bit bigger than a yak!!!

I think Tiddler is shorter than a lot of yaks.

Jim