Birmingham Navy!

Adam F

Like many others over the weekend, we got out and enjoyed the nice weather and entertainment. First the fireworks and start of the airshow on Thurs eve and then again on Sat with the Airshow, anchored off Bournemouth Pier.

Ive never seen our marina so empty! Or so many boats in one place off the piers...

Anyway, as expected it was carnage. I made a point of having the VHF set to Ch16 and it was amusing and frightening to hear some of the stuff going on.

Boats casually chatting on Ch16 when Portland had issued Seelonce Mayday

Plenty of open Mics on Ch16

A boat calling 'Mayday, Mayday help, help' and then the ensusing conversation where the guy had no clue of how to use a VHF or communicate with the Coastguard.... all because he couldnt get his engine started. The icing on the cake was when the ILB made contact with the vessel and asked them to make their boat visable.... ' we are waving at you' was the response.... well half the boats on the water were waving at each other that day.... :rolleyes:

It actually made me quite angry - when most of us go to quite a lot of time and expense to educate ourselves, practise etc to make sure we are safe and opperating correctly at sea, and then you get these once a year weekend warriors who really just give us a bad name!

The coastguard were well prepared, and fair play to them, took it all in their stride.

Rant over - off soapbox now!

Oh yes, the other thing I was going to mention - which Charlie reminded me of...

The knob jockeys who think it is acceptable to blast through the middle of the anchorage at full speed, strangely most of them were driving RIBS, we had several come past us at over 20 knots - with people in kayaks and swimmers in the water... frightening. Not to mention the wash they created.

We came in early around 4pm - and was glad to get back in before the mad rush! I bet the entrance was fun at 5/6pm??

Not just Ribs, bloody great sunseekers, speedboats, jet skis - the whole bloody lot of inconsiderate bastards!

The looks of utter contempt on some of the faces when "politely suggesting" the slow down - unbelievable! Tossers.

Needs a large buoyed off area - NO WAKE ZONE - and enforced like they do in the States, with hefty fines!

we had lines over the back [well braid actually] a rib at speed was passing so close across my transom he was in danger of getting it across his throat, that would have been messy.

I had an anchor ball up but not fishing signs , so I wonder what would happen

Charlie

I belive that it is about time that boat drivers should be qualified to at least powerbaot level 2

Charlie

Not just Ribs, bloody great sunseekers, speedboats, jet skis - the whole bloody lot of inconsiderate bastards!

The looks of utter contempt on some of the faces when "politely suggesting" the slow down - unbelievable! Tossers.

Needs a large buoyed off area - NO WAKE ZONE - and enforced like they do in the States, with hefty fines!

It's alright Neal.

You don't need to beat around the bush like that.

It is scary sometimes though. We had a couple of " shrove Tuesday enthusiast " come flying past us when we were on safety duty for the Swanage Kayak meet.

Jim

I do actually think that something like Powerboat Level 2 should be enforced for say all boats over 16' and over 50hp for instance... It won't happen and people would protest blue murder over civil rights being taken away but it's just mad that anyone with enough money can take to sea in anything!

Once a year maybe, but it concentrates just what is out there.

Most popular sight on saturday  was boats trying to anchor from 35ft yatchs to small speed boats with tangled blue poly rope drifting back to other boats, What is it with yachties who think a vertical chain should hold them. The marines didnt set a very  good example when they weaved between boats doing at least 15 knots creating plenty of wash. 

For regular comedy anchor viewing Newtown IoW on any sunny day in the summer is the place! Too many boats, variable currents, narrow channels and a fair smattering of selfish or hopeless skippers.

Just as an example last time I was there for just a short social lunch stop we witnessed an anchor and chain from a yacht picked up by a big Sealine crossing it's bows followed by the said yacht now under unwanted tow colliding with another yacht. Amazingly the chain did not take long to free and the hapless yacht promptly drifted into the one behind it! Meanwhile Mr S*** For Brains Sealine prowled along trying to anchor elsewhere but there was no room, didn't stop him anchoring worryingly not too far from us, the hook was maybe down a couple of minutes before drifting into the adjacent boat, they finally made off.  There's more but I'm sure you get the idea.

It's not awfully relaxing for the skipper with a boat to protect! Diane's refused to go there any more.

Steve

I was out all 4 days, and was made to feel like an absolute nautical genius by some of the complete f***wits out there!

Thursday was OK- most people who were out seemed to know the basics, although the RNLI had an above-normal number of breakdowns to deal with. I was amazed at how many ran out of fuel. The RNLI and Coastguard should charge to deal with this kind of thing.

I did have a hairy moment on Friday when my anchor tripped in the vicinity of a 50 foot gin palace, but at least I was able to sort it out with no damage to anyone.

We were anchored up near to Charlie and Ben on Saturday when a big WAFI decided to anchor literally on top of us.

When he finally left the Dorset Princess (Champion Pancake Flinger) decided to come in amongst us and forced a couple of little boats out of the way)

On Sunday we cruised past Court Jester and dropped the pick near to Serenity. At slack water the different sizes and types of boats were all swinging around at different rates and in different directions- most hadn't considered this when they dropped anchor and seemed oblivious that they were close to colliding with other boats.

Boats of all sizes motoring between us at anchor way too fast, causing a lot of wake, and with complete disregard to anchor ropes and fishing lines. (There may be a rush on oil seals this week! :lol: ) Liberty Lass and the other boats 'servicing' the warships were very irresponsible in this regard as were the Marines themselves following the Beach Assault demos (I did hear Skua being told to slow down on channel 16 by one of the warships.)

So many little boats didn't have a proper anchor, and many more didn't seem to understand that the boat doesn't end up where the anchor is dropped.

I saw several people literally dropping their anchor, and chain and rope all in a heap out of a bucket...

Motoring there and back we saw many boats overloaded with people who were either too cool to drown, or have the ability to breathe underwater.

All in all, it was an education! 

I think Powerboat 2, VHF licence and insurance should be brought in (and the RNLI should charge for rescues where the reason is 'dumbass'), but when the Police can't enforce licence/MOT/insurance on the roads, there is little chance of this being enforced on the water.

Great to be out there though, brilliant weather, awesome air displays and some nice fishing for my crew each day.

Also brilliant to see other PBSBACers out there, and to hear us looking out for each other. Well done to PBSBAC Rescue Services- you know who you are! B)