Tuesday funny old day

plaicemat

Had a glorious day out yesterday in Stingray, first time since I was indisposed the boat and engine behaving themselves after their long lay up which was a good thing. We all know about the weather and sea state so I will not bore you with those details except to say that I planned this day last week which is something I haven't been able to do for a few years.

07.00 launch from Wick and straight out to bag up on mackerel. Fat chance, very few and far between and all monsters so we settled for the four that were marginally smaller and went to chase Billy Bass. Very little tide meant very slow progress on the drifts and not a single bass, not even a take to let us know there was something down there. Even calling Alun the bass magnet didn't help.

Eventually, we decided to go back to the mackerel and try to assemble a bag of big mackerel for smoking. Again, the best laid plans went awry as we could now only catch joeys and in huge numbers. So.................back to the bassing!  Started the first drift and after 15 minutes whilst passing some pot buoys, away went my float. Result! 1st fish landed and during the unhooking process, away went my other line which gave me two fish on the deck awaiting unhooking. 3lb and 5½lb. Happy bunny although crew and neighbour Pete, not so.

Due to a duff battery which did not survive the lay-up, we lost the bait tank pump, navigation, etc and consequently the baits. So, we went back to get some more about 16.30 and, you guessed it, back to monsters. So, we got what we need for smoking and that has kept me busy today.

Very happy to be back as skipper after having been chauffeured about for quite some time by generous club members, if this weather holds, I will PLAN another trip for next week. There's the kiss of death for the weather which I think no longer counts as a 'window'.

Terry.