Stop knots on braid

johnnyb.

Hi Johnny,

Trick from pike (coarse) fishing is to use rubber float "stops". Perfect for slider floats and they slide up the braid easily, but DO lubricate with spit whilst sliding up the line. Rubber stop slips easily through the rings.

Works equally well on braid or mono.

Good luck

Peter

Ahha,Ive been using 40lb mono for my stopknots thinking thinner line will slip through the float.

another fiddley thing is getting the braid through the float,takes me ages .

any tips to stop it bending.

float stops sound good---and I always lubricate with a bit of spit. :wub:

I use the amount of nylon I need to get to the depth I require and power gum stop knot nylon (soft and stretchy). The advantages are that braid floats and nylon sinks so theoretically the nylon will be sub surface and the braid will lay on the surface thus making pick up quicker on a take.

Terry.

1. Put a bead above the float with a small diameter hole.

2. Suck the braid through (oh err)! Or double up some heavier mono, put that through and pull a loop of braid back.

I don't like to use a mono leader when float fishing. It is a extra knot (weakness etc), at 10m it would be annoying if weed caught on it etc etc.

Rob

As rob says , I also do not use a mono leader when fishing, just run the braid right through , for the same reason .

I use a bead above float then a small elastic band .

Pull one end through the other, around the line ,

Pull tight , then cut off most of the projecting  loop.

Will slide up and down and does not come undone.

Works perfectly on braid.

I have never tried the power gum , are there any advantages?

Mike F 

I know it's obvious but there are a few braids with very different properties that affect how they will react in this environment - Firewire and Whiplash Pro as extremes.

That said, I agree with the comments above that focus on the material for making the stop knots over the nature of the line they are being made on.

Have used a short piece of pole elastic ..can get various thickness to suit ....but I guess an elastic band is good too.

I always use a bead above the float too...smaller bore than float but not too small it wont slide ....and better for stop knot .

Dave  :D  :D  :D