dragonfly

sparky

• 3 months later...

Graham,

Any results or negatives yet?

I am close to chosing between the dragonfly or the Lowrance elite 5 HDI .

Can the Dragonfly display be rotated a full 360 degrees(ish) after instalation?

I want to be able to view the display from the foredeck through the cabin window  as well as on th helm dashboard inside the cabin so need it to swivel probably 180 +degrees

Any info greatfully received.

Peteg

Graham, expensive unit to look at the mud!  :)

Pete - get a cheap \ second hand repeater plotter for the deck - you jet need an Ethernet & network cable for the lowrance if you have a sounder box \ brain. I do this on my boat, for redundancy as the units are only a foot from each other.

Rob

Rob,

I have an old Globalmap 3300c which is regularly  exhibiting the dreaded flashing screen syndrome .When it behaves itself it works fine.

It is running Navionics gold on an SD Card which doesn't help me on the more modern units which take microSD's so I thought It might be time to bite the bullet and get a new combo unit which would also be backup for my old Lowrance x65 greyscale sounder which is working perfectly but not as well as a hybrid downscan Colour unit of course.

With a new pedestal rather than cradle mount  combo plus my existing units  I would have 100% backup redundancy. and be able to view displays from bow area.(if they can swivel far enough :( )

I have just about enough room to mount either of the  pedestal units on the top of the dash when I remove my old Eagle backup sounder

Tending to favour the dragonfly at the moment but really nothing in it as far as I can make out from the sales pitches and reviews...UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS DIFFERENT.... ;)

Peteg

Pete, get some spray electronic contact cleaner and spray onto all connectors/contacts on the unit, this can sometimes sort the flashing screen problem. It is especially prevalent if the unit is left connected to the power so give it a try. Disconnect the connectors and spray both parts and then reassemble.

Instead of mounting the new unit straight to the boat, use a small turntable (perhaps a TV one) and mount it to that so you can rotate it.

Just my thoughts.

Terry.

Terry,

Thanks for the advice I'll give the contact cleaning option a go next time I get to the boat.....I might get lucky B)

I dont have a lot of spare room on the top of the dash but reading the sales description of the two pedestal mounted combo units I have in mind they are supposed to tilt and swivel.

Just need to be able to get my hands on them to see if they are suitable.

Rob ......Dont have an Iphone.......... :( :(

Agree with you about the dark world though :wacko:

Peteg

• 1 month later...

Hi Mick

I have used it for all normal situations and I am very pleased with it . great clear bright screen , and seems good in all modes also easy to use the only thing is what size is your boat you may need ext lead but if you do I have one to get rid of . But if you want to see you can have look on my boat

So good luck with what ever you go for

Cheers

Graham

I eventually opted for the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and bought a Navionics Gold Upgrade microsd card and download pack from .http://bluev.co.uk/

It now means that my old SD card still functions as a backup (but cannot be upgraded) and my new micro sd card with the Latest Full UK map can still  be used on my old plotter using the microsd to sd card converter that came with the upgrade kit.

I haven't used the new plotter /sounder in anger yet but first impressions are very good.

It is installed on a pedestal bracket on top of my dash and swivels nicely if cables are left long enough and left" flexible"

My old plotter was still playing up and flashing like a mad thing yesterday.It also has the anoying habit of switching itself on by itself so I have removed the power plug to it..It was driving me nuts when trying to set up the new unit B)

The contact cleaning suggestion didnt work so

Looks like I may have to trawl ebay for a working replacement. :rolleyes:

I like the Elite 5 hdi though:- although probably would have opted for the extra screen size of the 7hdi but sufficient  funds not available at the time.

Forgot to mention

Major factor for choosing the lowrance over the dragonfly was the NME A0183 coms facility of the Lowrance so I can have position connected,displayed and if necessary transmitted on my DSC VHF.

There are no such facilities available on the Dragonfly.

I have connected the coms from both plotters in parallel to the DSC vhf so either will provide the data if switched on.

Peteg

Hi gents, well thank you for your inputs today.........................but since posting earlier I have found that the Dragonfly cannot be fitted to a shaft drive according to Raymarine instructions found on internet  :angry:

Glad you are happy with it Graham, looks like I'll have to  go down  another route though.

I've got same problems as yours Pete, it's a Lowrance X102 and screen flashes / freezes up, can be a real problem at low water at the end of " F" pontoon ............... the shallow end !!!!!

I also tried the contact cleaner , but no luck on that either.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Mick