Anchor hungry Christchurch ledge

niggle

While fishing Sunday I observed 3 boats that had a poor anchor set up and ended up cutting their rodes/ropes.Touch wood I've never had too and would strongly advise that if any of these boats are club members to ask about correct anchor set up.

One boat a aquafish really did make a hash up of it and were very lucky a crew member wasn't hurt.

If anybody would like an evening trip out to be shown on their boat just drop me a PM and I will happily run through it with them as I did with Wishin when I sold her

Nigel

Its not only private boats that often have a problem with this.

I was alongside a Poole charter boat that got an anchor stuck on the Patch last week - some of the manouvers he tried were downright dangerous.... and I'm sure his anglers onboard wouldnt have appreciated the 90 mins lost fishing time he spent trying to retrieve it.

Touch wood, Ive not lost an anchor in the 10 years Ive had a boat - the only time Ive had issues with with an anchor around a pot line or underwater cable. A correctly rigged anchor and Alderney ring should work everytime. If it does get stuck there are a few tricks that usually work.

Well done Nige - nice offer.

In fact - if anyone is Poole based and wants the same instruction or help this end then I'll match the offer. Martin B was kind enough to show me some 10 years ago so I'm happy to pass on the favour.

. Martin B was kind enough to show me some 10 years ago so I'm happy to pass on the favour.

Blooming hell Adam was it that long ago :(

Seriously all club members should be proficient at both deploying and recovering anchors. It's one of the most dangerous manoeuvres we have to do on a regular basis so if you don't know the correct way take up one of the above offers. 

Also I'm sure Dave our safety rep would arrange for tuition on other club boats, mine is available or maybe arrange for a member to go on your own boat, the help is there you just need to ask

Martin

As Martin says, I am only to willing to help anyone practice anchoring and retreiving

There is nothing like practice to build confidence in what you are doing.

I will admit I too have lost an anchor just the otherside of St.Albans head, however I should have noticed the bottom was very rocky and the chain got wrapped around rocks I think so not a lot I could do on that occasion.

Pot ropes and old sunken nets can be a major problem and I have even tried to pull up cables before now!!

A lot depends on if you swing in the tide and your anchor type as some are worse than others.

Just drop me a PM or call

Dave

Ditto here - happy to show how to deploy / recover using the alderney buoy method ( also a good excuse to get out ! )

I actually lost my first anchor on the ledge on my second trip in the boat, just after joining the club some 9-10 years ago and Martin explained how to rig a Bruce anchor to trip and since then I am still using the same anchor. ( My first anchor was a daneforth which is / was hopeless in the rocky ledge )

I have had one or two occasions where I thought my brice anchor would be history, but so far have managed to trip / retrieve it.

Its not only private boats that often have a problem with this.

I was alongside a Poole charter boat that got an anchor stuck on the Patch last week - some of the manouvers he tried were downright dangerous.... and I'm sure his anglers onboard wouldnt have appreciated the 90 mins lost fishing time he spent trying to retrieve it.

Touch wood, Ive not lost an anchor in the 10 years Ive had a boat - the only time Ive had issues with with an anchor around a pot line or underwater cable. A correctly rigged anchor and Alderney ring should work everytime. If it does get stuck there are a few tricks that usually work.

Well done Nige - nice offer.

In fact - if anyone is Poole based and wants the same instruction or help this end then I'll match the offer. Martin B was kind enough to show me some 10 years ago so I'm happy to pass on the favour.

Adam was very nice to show me how to retrieve an anchor using an alderney ring some 7/8 years ago, I can still remember how it's done.

Thank you.

Ditto here - happy to show how to deploy / recover using the alderney buoy method ( also a good excuse to get out ! )

I actually lost my first anchor on the ledge on my second trip in the boat, just after joining the club some 9-10 years ago and Martin explained how to rig a Bruce anchor to trip and since then I am still using the same anchor. ( My first anchor was a daneforth which is / was hopeless in the rocky ledge )

I have had one or two occasions where I thought my brice anchor would be history, but so far have managed to trip / retrieve it.

Paul you need to actually go out in your boat to stand a chance of loosing your anchor :P

We nearly lost one on Saturday  at kimmeridge after much manoeuvring managed to lift but it would not hang up on the ring and kept sliding back as soon as power off. Eventually after getting the warp as short as possible a prolonged pull along the surface  got the anchor to plane up and lock in the ring. Could. See something pretty large attached turned out to be a massive pot anchor with about 3ft of scaffold tube and large rebars plus a really heavy growth of sea life.Took both of us to lift in the boat. Amazed the bouy managed to lift it. 

we seem to attract these things having had a pot full of concrete, something worryingly like a torpedo that got released very quickly , a submerged cable and about 200mts of pot line just before Christmas. Just goes to show you can get most things sorted with a bit of patience 

Peter

Phew Peter you did well there.

I use a small (10kg) bruce with a trip (2 small diameter separate rope loops) that the windlass will just break when I'm anchoring rocky area like the Ledge. I have an alderney split ring as a backup retrieve method.

I would offer one recommendation that reduces chain rock wrap problem immensely and the possibility of the trip unwantedly tripping. At slack water anchor up and reposition for the tide change. It also means you can be fishing in the right postition for the change in tide.

Steve

I'd also add to Steve's advice.

When lowering your anchor, dont simply bumg the whole lot over the side - lower it down slowish until you get to the warp - that way you stand a better chance of the rig settling in a line and working, rather than in a heap and around a rock.

Guilty !,,, I afraid I have little idea about the correct method,

All I do know is that the chain is attached to the anchor at the front, the other part of the chain is attached at the rear by two cable ties, I did see Wedger doing the uplift with a lifting buoy but as usual I was far to busy eating pies to pay attention !!!!!!!

Thanks for the offers on how to do it, getting a couple of hours off can be a litte awkward in my present employment so IF you goiing out PLEASE give me a text 07976844546

I will supply the pies.