Portland Rig?

Adam F

I Think maybe I am having one of those moments

but the description left me in total doubt as to what this rig would look like.

Where is the weight attached? and the trace?

Can someone describe this better please [Peter?????]

or can Bob do one of his sketches

Charlie biggrin.gif

hehehe

take 4 swivels, 2 beads and a snap swivel................

tie main line to swivel then tie 1ft stronger line,thread bead then through end of a swivel another bead tie to swivel tie to length of rotton bottom to lead link(snap swivel) to lead............giving you a straight line to lead with a running swivel on the 1ft length of stronger line tied between two swivels.

attach trace to the other end of this runninng swivel and include another swivel in it's construction (to keep Mustad in business)...........

basically a running paternoster with a lot of swivels!

Well, the pic shows how I would tie a Portland Rig.

The hook length would vary to suit conditions and the length of line between the lead & the bottom swivel can be used as a rotten bottom - if appropriate.

Wether it is ny more effective than just suspending the lead 12" below the boom on a standard running ledger - I'm not sure?

Cheers,

Alan

post-5-1102532146.jpg

Cheers Guys - not how I thought it was tied. I was imagining more of a 'helicopter' rig. (Common rig used in carp fishing)

This utilises far less swivels. Is basically a snap swivel at the bottom, a bead, a swivel, a bead and then a stopper. This enables the bait to swing 360 degs. but not up and down.

Surely a 6-8' hook length would give the bit / lure all the action and freedom it requires - would all those swivels help that much?? To me they are just weak links in the set-up?

Im off Bassing to Weymouth on Fri - hence to Q's, and the Portland rig has had good press this year??.......

Adam, if u can nab some, get some stormy sandeels for friday, they work very very well, Ive got a few left, will also bring a selection of stormys i brought back from states, various colours.

Perhaps a look at some wrasse after weve finished drifting?? The bait for them down there is hermits, I'll try my best to nab some, if all else fails, I'll pillock BB for some.

see u friday, regards, Rich

PS GUESS WHO?? "Rich I've taken the day off...youre going fishing then?? Fine!!!!"

HEHEHE!