braid to mono

gjb

With rod rings getting smaller the knot size between braid and mono seems to be getting a problem so i purchased some tapered leaders they go from 16lb to 60lb i then cut off about 4 feet of the 16lb end and tied them together and this seems to have worked a much smaller knot and less problem reeling in has any one had a go with this for there boat setups

Cheers

graham

HI Graham the rings on my Salford braid are tiny had an issue with this at first solution is leave the culinary enclosing so.it flexes or use a small length of shrink tube to cover the knot and ends to ale smooth. best knot is Albright

regards peter

HI Graham the rings on my Salford braid are tiny had an issue with this at first solution is leave the culinary enclosing so.it flexes or use a small length of shrink tube to cover the knot and ends to ale smooth. best knot is Albright

regards peter

But using a lighter to shrink rig tubing over the knot aint a good idea is it Dad? ph34r.gif

Nige- that is great when there is loads of weed and it stops it getting to the top eye, but I like the security of having some heavy line with a few wraps round the spool with a big fish at the side if the boat!

Rob

Way back when I did more shore angling we used tapered leaders and they worksed great, especially if you trimmed the ends to match the line thickness as you are doing.

For boat fishing I just use normal mono, 60lb for the heavy fishing and 30 0r 40 on the lighter tackle and drift fishing.

We lose a fair bit of gear over the wrecks so we carry 4oz spools of leader lines.

I used to tie the knotless knot, but it let me down a few times, especially if tied onboard quickly. We have now changed to a double grinner knot.

Last weekend was the first time I had a problem with line breaking at this knot, but the leader had not been changed for several trips so may have just been weakened by constant use.

Trimming the ends very tight to the fully tightened knot seems to prevent it snagging the tip ring to much, unless there is weed about.

Like Rob I prefer to have the knot on the reel spool when a big fish is alongside the boat. especially as we nearly always are only using 30lb braid

Charlie

Interesting Rob, I hadn't come across the blob knot before, always use an Albright with the braid doubled. Had a look at your link and, if I read correctly, it says the blob knot is only for mono lines. Clearly the leader blob needs to be mono, but have you used this ok with a braid running line?

Duncan

Interesting Rob, I hadn't come across the blob knot before, always use an Albright with the braid doubled. Had a look at your link and, if I read correctly, it says the blob knot is only for mono lines. Clearly the leader blob needs to be mono, but have you used this ok with a braid running line?

Duncan

No, waiting for you to try it first! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hmm, we use 80lb leaders and a J knot and have no probs with knots going through rings.

Not sure what the problem is ....

Chris

We've been using the J knot, as described on the webknots page, for past few years and only had failures when using light (under 30lb) leaders to 20lb braid. For the usual 30lb braid to 60+ leader it just works and is a neat knot.

Hope this helps

Chris