Trying to understand Depth of field

Newboy

Been taking photos for a few years but haven't been able to suzz out what depth of field really means and how it works in real world, so I googled it and find this video on youtube explaining what d0f is, but after watching it I was none the wiser, don't know why but nothing she said registered......

Depth of Field.

Giving you the simple answer:-

A, Depth of field is the distance from the nearest point to the furthest point that you are taking and the subject remains in focus and the picture is sharp.

For example, if you photograph a road sign and that sign is clear and in focus but the background is hazy then we call this limited depth of field.

Good depth of field is when the sign appears clear and the back ground is also clear.

As a rule of thumb, As the aperture decreases the depth of field becomes greater and as the aperture increases the depth of field becomes smaller.

If you have a short lense, for example a wide angle the depth of field will be greater.

The longer the lense the smaller the depth of field.

Hope this helps?

Alf.

Depth of Field.

A, Depth of field is the distance from the nearest point to the furthest point that you are taking and the subject remains in focus and the picture is sharp.

For example, if you photograph a road sign and that sign is clear and in focus but the background is hazy then we call this limited depth of field.

Good depth of field is when the sign appears clear and the back ground is also clear.

As a rule of thumb, As the aperture decreases the depth of field becomes greater and as the aperture increases the depth of field becomes smaller.

If you have a short lense, for example a wide angle the depth of field will be greater.

Hope this helps?

Alf.

Who cares!!!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

You obviously didnt watch the video Alf biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Depth of Field.

Hope this helps?

Alf.

You need to watch the video Alfie, then you'll see why nobody is really interested in the correct definition, or even listening to what she said.. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Brian

You need to watch the video Alfie, then you'll see why nobody is really interested in the correct definition, or even listening to what she said..  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

I listened avidly ..........with my eyes cool.gif

Compelling viewing I think.

Kam started something with this one didn't he ?

I didn't look at it for days as I'm not really interested in photography, although I'm happy taking snaps.

After a while I began to realise that maybe I should take a bit more interest.

Thank you Kam. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Jim

I think I,ll just have to watch the video link again just to make sure Alf hasn't missed out any detail as I turned the sound down after 30 sec's!!!!!!!

Made me smile when I read it, cheers Alf!!  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif

Chris

Dont turn the sound down.Listen carefully.she is a very NAUGHTY girl.

now ive just GOT to watch it again Johnny!!

Ho Hum :-)