Poole Kayak Flounder meet 15th Dec

lofty

On Saturday between 30-40 hardy kayak anglers met at Lake Pier for the annual flounder meet. As is becoming traditional at this event the weather was horrible , wet and windy, but being Poole harbour was perfectly doable so we all signed in and launched about 9 o clock. This year the event was sponsored by Bournemouth canoes and although our club donated some nice bits of tackle, I was asked not to donate it as they were the exclusive sponsors. If its ok with the club ill hang on to it and organise an open kayak plaice chase from Southbourne in March?

The fishing was hit and miss. The crabs were in plague proportions. Leaving the worms down for a couple of minutes we'd be pulling up football sized balls of crabs. I swapped over to float fishing but still had nothing. I went on the drift with spoons and beads. Nothing.

As for the rest it was a mixed bag but one chap found the right tackle( a simple hook length, no beads, spoons etc) and he had 7 around the pound and a half mark near Rockley point. Half a dozen anglers caught with the winners fish just under 2 lbs.

Ben Savilles family organised this event and provided hot dogs and burgers in the carpark and everyone gathered for the awarding of the three prizes.

It was a good meet and rounds the kayak meets up nicely for 2012.

Here's a few pictures and a video I took of myself testing out what speeds kayaks can be comfortably towed with the help of the RNLI rib

Lofty

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It's a pity but that decision was made by the organisers and sponsors. I'm sure the competitors would have liked 4th, 5th, 6th,7th, but hey ho.

Bizarrely Bournemouth canoes didn't want the magazine article either so saves me a lot of effort. It will probably be in one of the mags as Simon Everett who writes for them won the comp.

Prizes and bolotics aside though it was a well organised meet and everyone had a great day, even though there were several capsizes. I want to thank the club for its support for us Yakkers and I hope to promote our sport/ pastime with the clubs assistance in 2013.

Ten knots was a good / safe towing speed so Im up for Alderney Rob wink.gif

Considering the meet went ahead and was a success with around a dozen fish being caught , comments seem rather negative , but i didnt expect much else , , its not all about the prizes , thanks for the offer like i said to lofty but last year we gave most prizes away for nothing , I was asked to let Bournemouth canoes deal with the prizes and we had other offers too , please dont take it personally even though its possibly a case of sour grapes , maybe if more pbsbac members had entered and caught fish this would have been a different report . .

Merry Christmas all . . .

Ben

Hey Ben, good to see you're still about.

Personally there are no sour grapes other than you buggers catch more fish than me ..... but seriously, I've NEVER heard anything negative about kayak guys from anyone in PBSBAC.

In fact quite the opposite.

As for the offer of prizes, to most (people in general, not just PBSBAC members) its a case of The more the merrier. But if a particular company/organisation wants exclusivity and the participants are happy with that then that's absolutely fine.

Have a great Xmas and I hope to see you out on the water some time in the New Year.

Graham.

Ben not sure where you see negativity from any of the posts above or why you

didnt expect much else
from either our club or it's members?

It feels like you may have an issue with the club or membership, not sure why but I do wish you had spoke to one of us before leaving the post you held here.

Martin

Hi Ben

I am always concerned when it is suggested there may be issues with PBSBAC

The club has tried hard to integrate kayaks into the club and support the

Kayak section

If there are any concerns or issues around the relationship with the

Kayak section can I suggest these are raised directly with the Chairman for consideration by the committee rather than through vague references in posts on the website

I am available by e mail on fisherman1055@aol.com or by pm on here

I look forward to hearing from you

Merry Xmas

Tony

Club Chairman