Black beauty

lofty

My mate Richi will sail his kayak from key haven to the needles and back again .This is about an18 mile round trip. I want it for the ledge for bassing. Getting out to the end of the ledge is no problem paddling from Southbourne but I'd like to drift with livelys and sail back to the start to re run. Will need lots of planning and conditions but I'm confident on the right day it will be doable. Ill bring a chart if your going to the dec meet and you can advise me please.

Yesterday's sail info

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by lofty

I admire your adventourours spirit but tide races are scary and unpreticable! And i say that for freeboyz! We have a 100hp engine to get out of it in portland race and nearly got wtuck

It's all about planning on a yak. And knowing your limits and knowing the forecasts are doing what they say.So far this year I've aborted after getting to my launch 6 times if I've not been happy with the prediction. Races I tend to give a wide berth. Like many things competence comes with experience and knowledge of the area. I've fished along the ledge but had a hairy one this year when my anchor was caught. I have several knives and rope cutters to hand and I cut the warp in seconds. I always carry money and a padlock with me so if I got into real trouble with a strong tide I'd give up and go with the flow. I've never had to but it's nice to know I could land elsewhere, lock the yak and get a cab back to my car. It's one of the benefits of being flexible for launching almost anywhere.

I carry on myself line cutters, safety knife, strobe light, flares, mobile in waterproof case,pfd,vhf with dsc, throwline, drysuit, and dress for the water temperature should i be in for an extended period. This is all attached to me, not the boat. but i would always give up first and land somewhere with the tide. If i did get caught in a race i couldnt get free off then id be on the radio to the cg pronto. I can't talk for a 100 hp getting stuck in a race, I wouldn't have a clue what to do eczept call it in ,most of been a bit worrying?

All I can really do is plan not to put myself in a dodgy situation and hope I don't need to use my safety gear.

Cheers

Steve,

All forms of boating are a controlled risk.

You only go when conditions are suitable, inform others of your passage plan, routinely carry the safety gear that will help you avoid getting into trouble, enable you to contact help if needed, and to give yourself the best chance of surviving until you are rescued if you do make that call.

That's good seamanship, in any vessel.

If anyone in the club is unsure of what gear they should be carrying for the trips they make, particularly in winter when the margin for error is smaller, the RNLI Sea Safety Team is always willing to provide one-to-one confidential advice as part of the RNLI Advice Onboard scheme. Please contact the RNLI for further information (leaflets with Brian, the club Membership Secretary) or me directly.

Mike

If anyone in the club is unsure of what gear they should be carrying for the trips they make, particularly in winter when the margin for error is smaller, the RNLI Sea Safety Team is always willing to provide one-to-one confidential advice as part of the RNLI Advice Onboard scheme. Please contact the RNLI for further information (leaflets with Brian, the club Membership Secretary) or me directly.

Mike

And me ohmy.gif

Dave

cool.gif