Swanage Saturday

lofty

Had a day on the water with Geordie Brian. After a road trip looking for a decent spot we ended up in Swanage bay. The westerly wind was the problem today and we rocked up at Swanage to a deceptively flat bay.

On the water for 11 and paddled over to Ballard. Once away from the shelter of the cliffs it wasn't very pleasant. Brian had the first of many( too many) wrasse as we sat at the far end of the bay.

user posted image

We ventured out to a wreck but as soon as we got there the wind kicked off again. We headed back to the shelter of the cliffs and paddled back to the grand hotel. I'd had trouble catching anything . Just a few Ballans. Anchored up by the ledges and popped some maccy fillets down hoping for a bass but it wasn't to be.

Decided to get a dexter wedge out .

A big mackie was first , quickly stuck down as a non successful lively.

Then I had 2 Pollock, returned.

Four Garfish then fell to the dexter. I missed another 3. They were jumping at the wedge before it hit the water. The sea must have been full of them.

Back on the beach my recent drysuit test inspired my chum to test his own gear. Happily he returned dry inside

user posted image

user posted image

Ok. The fishing wasn't on fire but good to be afloat and catching and having a crack with GB

I have problems with wind!!

It's one of the main considerations with a kayak. There is always a lot of pre trip planning and watching the wind forecast. I envy you chaps with engines ( sometimes)We knew on the day that with a westerly we'd be afforded some shelter but right in the middle of the bay it was too much. It dropped off for half an hour and we were about to get anchor by the Fleur de Lys when it came back .

At the end of the day it had dropped completely .

Would have been nicer today but other tings to do.

Well done for getting out Steve, thanks for the report.

I know what you mean re engines, we can head in quick and / or move position to find shelter! I ran 7 miles in Dartmouth to hide in the lee of start point.

Rob

The conditions offshore were horrendous!

I was out diving the Aeolian Sky, and we had a good 3m swell with wind over tide sick.gif even in a 38' South Cat is wasn't great!

Adam,

What did you see on 'The Sky'......... rolleyes.gif