Hello. New joiner

Gordoncooper1951

Hello.

My name is Gordon. Ive have just joined as I have recently got a boat. It has been many years boat fishing.

I go fishing with my son and was wondering if there is any good spots to fish. We would like to catch a variety of fish.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

Gordon.

Welcome Gordon,

There are loads of places to fish, however, some fish better at certain times, tides, weather etc.....i think everyone is still learning.

Let us have more info re your boat, size ect. Dave Samuel will be along at some point to advise you about having a free RNLI Sea Safety Check, which you will gain great advice from - it is more of a discussion than an assessment and I found mine very useful!

Try and fish our Open on the 23rd and then come to the October meeting in Parkstone on the First Thursday of the month!

Rob

Thanks for the replies.

My boat is a beneteau Antares 620. It's about 22ft. Is based at rockley park bot yard.

I'm on holiday on the 23rd of this month but I wil try and make the meeting.

I am keen on fishing for bass and flat fish. My son is keen on the bigger fish like tope, conger and skate.

Is there any good cod grounds when the time comes.

Thanks

Welcome Gordon

There are a number of members who keep their boats at Rockley

Mine included, I have a MF695

I will keep my eyes open for your boat and we can chat when we meet

and swop info on fishing

I am more of a conservationist (dont catch many fish) compared with other members

the best place to learn is to come to one of our monthly meetings

Tony

Hi Gordon

Yes it's me Dave Samuel the Safety Officer of the club.

Firstly welcome to the best fishing club in the South if not the UK!

Secondly I would agree with everyone else you need to join in with the club to get the most out of it. There are some marks on the "Club Members Only section" which are general areas to help you get started but it is really down to finding a likely spot and trying it out or follows the crowds.

Regarding Safety I would strongly recommend an RNLI Sea Safety Check, which is free, and they come to you when it's best for you. The guys and gals carry out simple checks and ask you about your craft so they get an understanding of what you expect from the craft.

As Rob said it is not a test to see what you have or don't have and they will normally make suggestions on areas that might be useful to you or might help if there was an emergency. All of this is FREE OF CHARGE and you don't have to accept there suggestions. There is no Pass or Fail but they do give you a list of what they recommend should you need it.

At the end of the day it is helping you to help yourself should an emergency arise whilst at sea. We even have Sea Check people in the club so it could not be easier.

Enough of the preaching time to get fishing safely.

As a club member I help organise training courses so should you be looking for a course or two let me know and I will try to arrange something at a special club members discounted rate. :-)

Stay safe

Dave

cool.gif

Hi Gordon

I can organise most RYA courses

VHF, Sea Survival, Day Skipper, Powerboat Level 2 (and upwards), Desiel engine maintainance, etc. etc.

Have a look under Safety Training and if there is anything you or your family/crew would like just make a posting or PM me and I will see what I can arrange.

Many people do course during the colder months, January to March when fishing is not at its best so get ready for the "summer" tips out.

If you wish to have a Sea Safety Check, I suggest you contact Mike Fox or the RNLI Sea Check Safety Officer, both of which are club members, who will put you in contact with the right people or alternativly drop an email to the RNLI who will respond to you directly.

Hope to see you at the next meeting or out on the water.

Dave

cool.gif

Hi Gordon,

I can help you out with a Safety Check.

The service is totally free, takes place on your boat, and relates safety to the sort of boating you do, and typically takes just over an hour.

I'll go through the boat with you from stem to stern, look at the safety gear you do have, make recommendations based on proven best practice, and add in whatever suggestions seem appropriate at the time.

I'll give you an insight into how you can help prevent things going wrong, how you can get yourself home if it does, contact help if you can't, and outline some coping strategies to help keep you going until help arrives.

You have a Private Message.

If anyone else is interested in having a Safety Check, please feel free to contact me, complete one of the Sea Check "forms" provided by Brian, the Membership Secretary, or contact the RNLI directly.

Mike