Vacuum packing machine.

plaicemat

For those of you who, like me, freeze fish (and game) for future use because we do not get out as often as some, I commend my latest vacuum packing machine. This treatment extends the freezer life of food by approximately 3 times. My old one which I have used for many years has finally gone kaput so had to be replaced. Having tried the new one on the Alderney harvest, I would be happy to recommend it to other members. It is called the Buffalo and will handle bags (or those cut from rolls which I use) up to a width of 310mm which is better that my old one at 250mm, plenty big enough for small haunches of venison. Details can be found here http://www.cateringbase.co.uk/cooking/vacu...l?search=vacuum

The folks at cateringbase seem very helpful and I feel fairly confident that if enough wanted one, I could get a discount. Let me know what you feel.

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it would stand up to the amount I use mine, Rob. As well as fish I use it for game (right up to venison) and meat I bring back from Scotland when I'm fishing or shooting up there. However, if it does what you want, a bargain indeed.

Terry.

Terry,

That looks like the one being demonstrated in Lakeland last Sunday.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/StoreLocator.action

I looked on their website but couln't see it.

It must be a new line for them.

About the same price I think.

The woman said " make sure you remove any fluid etc. " cos I said it would be for FISH. ( Where on Earth would I get fish from ) - - - - ( oh yes - - - Greenslades ) laugh.gif

Jim

No, not the same one Jim. I looked at that one but it is not as versatile. That one only uses the bags they sell so one cannot cut lengths of tubed bagging to any length or width required. However, a small tip I picked up was that one company sells strips of some sort of material that go into the top of the bag to stop liquid preventing heat sealing. I have started using folded kitchen towel and it does the same thing. Try to avoid washing fillets in fresh water prior to packing also helps in the process.

Terry.

I bought a Lidl one a couple of years back and have really tried with it, including buying several rolls of the special polythene required.

But unfortunately I wouldn't recommend buying one of these at all. The vacuum suction is weak, unless your fish/fillets are completely dry it sucks liquid gunge into the mechanism (which is hard to remove) and the sealing process isn't that reliable either. Very often a sealed bag unseals itself by the next day.

Overall you can do better buying zip bags and manually excluding the air before closing them.... or spend a few quid more and get a "proper one".

Duncan

My one which is not this one is pretty good. It seals ok etc and I think the key thing is keeping the seal area dry and the bag type. I actually use the zip loc bags and effectively cut the top off.

No, not the same one Jim. I looked at that one but it is not as versatile. That one only uses the bags they sell so one cannot cut lengths of tubed bagging to any length or width required. However, a small tip I picked up was that one company sells strips of some sort of material that go into the top of the bag to stop liquid preventing heat sealing. I have started using folded kitchen towel and it does the same thing. Try to avoid washing fillets in fresh water prior to packing also helps in the process.

Terry.

The one I saw was using a roll of open ended stuff, so you can have them any length. It had a lot of Suck too.

I've never had one before, ( Jacqui uses freezer bags and sucks the air out with a straw before applying a twisty tie ).

Perhaps I should buy her a " Proper one "

See what sort of a deal we can get Terry.

Jim