Centauri Knot - used when using worms

Bob F

Here's a neat knot that I use to tie hooks when using worms.

The difference with this knot is that the tag points away from the hook and back up the trace.

This means that worms can be more easily slid over the knot and up the line without ploughing up the insides of the worms. The tag then helps to prevent the worm sliding back down onto the hook. Keep the tag slightly long to aid this.

BF

post-19-1100529973.gif

• 3 weeks later...

As a carp fisherman (I just started this sea lark a few months ago) the knotless knot is the by far the best knot i have used and i use it 100% of the time and never had it slip. Over fifty 20lb carp on it to, but i suspect a fat cod would pull back a bit harder though in the tide and test the knot better though.

• 3 years later...

I like the way with this knot, the tag points up. Someone showed me another variant of it for Cod rigs....what they did was to wind the line around the hook under the eye, then back through the eye. (Yes it is a form of whipping). What they then also did was effectively use the same whipping knot for another hook half way up the leader....

Once I had tried this a few times, I reckon its faster than any other knot I have used for the same kind of rig...

That knot is exactly the same as the knot I use in heavy mono. Hold the hook in one hand and wind the mono round your thumb nail three times, take the tag end and slide it up the side side of your thumb nail, through the three loops. Lubricate and pull tight.

I've used it on mono up to 150lb fluro and have never had the knot let me down. I also much, much prefer it to crimps and the damage that they can do if the correct crimping pliers are not used.

As it is a strangulation knot, I've not tried in lighter mono's, but am more than happy with a grinner that retains nearly 100% line strength and achieves the same thing biggrin.gif

Al

Hi Al

It seems to be the other way around than the one I use for heavy mono.

I pass the line through the hook, back on itself and take three turns around my finger towards the hook before passing the tag end away from the hook between finger and the turns.

[ If you use the end of a large boom instead of your finger, I find it easier to push the tag end up the inside of the tube and pull the tube off before tightening the knot]

The one above seems to take turns away from the hook and then back outside before tucking.

If it was in the heavy line you and I use it would bulk up the knot a bit.

Charlie

Charlie,

"my" turns work away from the hook eye, bringing the tag end back towards the eye and then back up through the three loops.

It does bulk up the knot, but using a pennel or a big single hook rig I find it makes virtually no difference to bait presentation in most circumstances.

Al

Morning Al

Next time you tie one up, have a look the way I described earlier

when tightened by pulling both the tag end and the trace it really is a neat knot.

It was shown to Gary and I by a chap we used to see every year at the Conger Club events, he used about 400lb mono. I have no idea what its called but it certainly works.

I used to put 4 or more turns on it but have been using only 3 for years and have never had a problem.

Charlie biggrin.gif

thats one flippin strong knot!, despite looking fairly flimsy with only 3 turns!

tied it today onto an 8/0 sakuma mantra, with 2.5ft of 60lb mono, and a 1/0 swivel on the other end tied with a uni knot.... the uni knot gave way at 38lb.

Then tested on a new bit of 60lb mono, with the centauri knot on both sides,,, knot broke at 38lb again (the same as the Uni knot previously), interestingly at the swivel for the second time....

on that basis i think i will stick with using the UNI knot, as it is much easier to tie, and can be tied to a high standard consistently ( i found using the centauri it gets messy, with loops overlapping each other)

Has anyone got any recommendations for a knot to use with thicker mono (60lb +) as well as lighter mono (25lb amnesia), other than the uni knot?

Not very scientific, but i hope this helps!

Dan

just tested it know, dont knot about a 100%knot, but was definately stronger than the others, breaking at 44lb.

Interestingly, all 3 tests have broke at the swivel, rather than the hook. looking at both eyes, i expect this is because the swivel wire is of a finer guage than the 8/0 sakuma mantra extra, so exerts more pressure on the line ( pressure = force / area )

So far this is the strongest knot i have tested, with the perfection loop being the weakerst ( interesting for me, as all my hook snoods were tied with this on the end for ease of changing ).

I dont think this knot broke at the knot (the coils going around) but instead at the point which it goes round the eye, were i suppose the stress isnt in the direction the mono wants it! (along its length)

Dan

Hi Dan

some interesting results, but it sounds like it may not be failing at the knot.

Perhaps you could try again with a much bigger swivel about the same gauge as the hook.

I know it is definatly something of interest to a lot of us, not really just for those traces tied in the heavy mono, its much more relevant to the bass fisherman using lighter traces.

If I am using lighter gear 10 to 20 lb traces I want the knots to be as near 100% as possible, thats why I tend to use the polamar knot which is doubled where it goes through the hook or swivel.

Charlie biggrin.gif

It would be interesting to see who could tie the strongest knot at the next club meeting, using the same swivels etc - and set up a test rig...

Any takers ?

I've just learnt a few new ones for leader to braid, but would like to know which one is the best. Also how you do the turns and pull them up sometimes has alot to do with the strength, so a few of us would introduce the variation of the test.

Paul