LHW Multipliers?

johnt

Being a fly and lure fisherman I just can't get the hang of this right hand wind mullarkey on multipliers. So I'm looking for a decent LHW reel for downtiding and general boat fishing.

There doesn't seem much choice so I was thinking of an Avet SX or MXJ. Are these worth the money? Any recommendations?

Thanks

John

Edited by johnt

Interesting one this!

I am a true lefty, but have a seemingly total ambidextrous attitude with rod and reel.

Have you really given it a go, 'cos I can't tell the difference?

In my course fishing day, I had one rod each side of my seat, one with a Mitchell 300 reel, the other with a 301.

Give it a try.................. wink.gif

I fish coarse lhw, sea multipliers rhw & sea fixed spools lhw.

Horses for courses ect. You won't know till you have spent the cash and tried. I think in the heavier fishing I want the handle on the right for cranking power (yes Jim, strong right wrist etc ect!!!!!). But for the more delicate / sensitive fishing, I would prefer to hold the rod (calm down Jim (and Nige)) in my right, such as in coarse fishing.

Rob

I like both !!

Although right-handed, I like to use LH multipliers for lure fishing and mackerel feathering..........esp with ABU reels with the thumb release...right hand holds rod and frees spool, left for cranking with no change - over.

With most bottom fishing and heavier gear, RH multipliers. All my Shimano multipliers are RH , but last year I discovered the Avets , and now mostly use these. As they come in LH versions, I've tried these and like them the same as RH....so have a couple of each.

One benefit I found......esp when wrecking with pirks and plastic lures.... it can be very tiring, with a lot of winding during the day. By have a set of left and right on different rods, a swap over every so often, evens out the strain in the muscles !!

You get what you pay for.I have lots of reels and only now use my " Avets"if you are only trying boat fishing to see if it's you're thing then get the Abu .if you want a reel that's made to last and made with good old engineering out of solid aluminium ........Avet

P.s shortly I will be selling all my other reels so if any body needs some PM me

2 x slosh,2x 525mags,2x tld 15's. Etc,etc,etc,

Also have about 30 rods to sell,most only 3 or 4 years old

• 10 months later...