150HP outboard which one?

silverfish

Hi Guys,

We are looking at getting the new Jeanneau MF 755. The question is which outboard? It will be a 150HP but which make would people opt for. I have had a number of different quotes from different dealers and the options are Yamaha, Suzuki, Etec or Mercury Verado.

The best Price deal that I have recieved including the trade in for my current boat is for a 755 with an ETec. I have done a search on the forum and know their are lots of Etec owners in the club. Im interested to know if people are still happy with their performance, reliability, fuel efficiency etc. I can see the attraction of the benefits the Etec would bring ie service interval, torque etc but my concern is whether it will keep its value as well as the 4 strokes? also whether its life expectancy would be of a concern as I have read several comments on the web about them not being expected to last the test of time, anyone got any views on this?

I have had a 4 stroke Suzuki before and it didnt miss a beat and I have seen many glowing reports about the Yamaha, so I think I would be happy with either of these but both these will be the more expensive option but as it will be used alot as a family boat to cruise as well as fish the quietness of the 4 strokes is an attraction. The other option is a Mercury Verado. Has anyone had any experience with this engine? I can only find old reviews on the web which suggest that fuel efficiency was an issue, but I have read that they have been redesigned in recent years and this has greatly improved.

I would be very grateful if anyone had any views/advice on any of the engines.

Many thanks

Rob

Edited by silverfish

I have to say you rarely see any secondhand ETEC's for sale which I suppose it means the owners are happy with them or they get snapped up before they hit the open market.

Suzuki & Yamaha have done some major upgrades but I suppose it depends where you intend to keep your boat and how near (and good) the local service agent is for the various makes you have listed.

No point getting an engine when you can't get warranty work/servicing done locally.

All marine engine parts are costly, except Seagulls, but then they are a tad old these days! laugh.gif

Just my thoughts

Dave

cool.gif

Thanks for your comments guys most appreciated.

Part of me would like to gamble on the Mercury, the thought of a supercharged 4 stroke sounds cool, but there is a niggling doubt in my mind for some reason, actually just got a price for a 755 with a Verado and when fully spec'd out the price is the same as another dealer is offering the same spec with a Yamaha fitted when comparing the change in price they have offered for my Beneteau Antares 6, the good reports I have seen may just sway me towards the Yam

Thanks for your point Dave, good suggestion to check out the location of the service dealers. Think I will make some calls and check around.

Thanks again

Rob

Edited by silverfish

Rob I don't think there is a duffer in any of the mainstream makes. I guess whatever you decide on will make you smile

Best of luck with your purchase

Martin

this would sum up my views on the engines presented.

these are all modern 'new generation' engines and should be expected to perform well in all areas (inc service ....) - realistically things do happen but there's nothing fundamental between them.