Bait well

jay kay

Yes. As far as I can see, despite various assertions to the contrary, I don't think it makes much difference. Mackerel need to swim against a current and I can't see them choosing death rather than swimming the opposite way. In the sea, they wouldn't be in this position so am fairly sure they don't have a strategy for it.

Terry.

a gentle circulation either way is fine. Best applied in the bottom with outlet at the top. 100 litre tant with a ParMax 3+ will hold 40 joeys as long as they are not bleeding. Remove any lethargic / dead fish.

I use an elbow in the bottom fitte 3" up the side and facing the bottom. I can adjust the angle but about 20 degrees is fine.

Not sure that flow makes any differance, I think its a good water exchange rate that is.

I have two ways of filling mine, both use 3/4" pipe

1. a bilge pump on the end of a pipe that is lowered overboard. the other end of the pipe has been run around the top of the drum and has a bung in the end. 6mm holes are drilled underneath the pipe. when the pump is deplyed and on Water squirts down into the tank from many holes aerating it but without flow.

2. using the deck pump , I take the gun off and put the end in the tank. this method does induce a flow around the tank

I have fitted a bigger discharge 11/2" about two thirds the way up, thus the supply can run constantly keeping baits and some caught fish alive.

Thanks for the help Guys.. I imagine my Tank is a fair bit smaller than yours! its about 2ft tall and 1ft wide iv just cut the 1.5" outlet in around 2 thirds of the way up but need to buy another 3/4" tank connector for the inlet tomor. I bougght a Rule 360 pump which is prob an overkill but i will let it run for a bit then turn it off. And see how it is

Cheers

Jon

Do not stop the pump when you have maccy in there! They will die in minutes.

If you are throwing the pump ove the gunnel, ensure you pop it in the bait well to keep the water moving when under way.

I have a 60l barrel and a 500gph pump, with a thru hull pickup, it works well.

Rob

I would say the rate of water replqcement is key- we had a huge barrel live bait tank on our old boat and a relively small tank on free boys but had no probs keeping bait alive in either( in fact we had a small schoal of bream happy for awhile last weekend

What i would say us keep water going in and make sure it circulates

Thanks for the help Guys.. I imagine my Tank is a fair bit smaller than yours! its about 2ft tall and 1ft wide iv just cut the 1.5" outlet in around 2 thirds of the way up but need to buy another 3/4" tank connector for the inlet tomor. I bougght a Rule 360 pump which is prob an overkill but i will let it run for a bit then turn it off. And see how it is

Cheers

Jon

same pump as we use so should work well

Charlie biggrin.gif