Cheeky request for crew

TomBettle

Hi Guys

Sometime in the next few weeks I need to deliver a White Shark 225 and Mercury Verado 250Hp to Jersey or possibly Guernsey.

I am happy doing the trip on my own and the boat is great fun to drive (45 knots in the right conditions), but it's always more fun doing these with a companion / co-skipper.

Would anyone fancy joining me for the run?

I'd be happy to let you do as little or as much of the driving as you wish and it is good experience for any channel crossing virgins as the boat is only 22' and open (but fun).

Bring your own sandwiches and warm gear (very warm gear) will be essential.

The downside is that you would need to cover your own "Blue Island" flight back at the other end, but I'd get us picked up at Bournemouth airport.

If anyone fancies coming for the experience then it would be great to have you along.

Tom

Certainly a chilly journey across so wearyour long johns.

I am hoping to persuade the new owner that he should invest in the extra cost of a flight for a second crew man with a view to safety etc.

If not... hence the cheeky request to see if anyone fancied it.

Don't have a date yet, but of course, it will be totally weather dependent and can wait for as long as need be for a calm day with good vis.

Apart from a flask of coffee and your sandwiches the journey over will definitely not cost anything and is always a good learning exercise, even for those of us that have done it a few times so anyone would be welcome, probably enthasis given to the channel crossing virgins just so they can lose their cherry with me! blink.gif

Going on my own?

I'd rather not, as much for company as for safety, but with safety in mind I would make sure that time of departure, eta and check ups in between were all covered with a proper passage plan and VHF checks with the coast guard, telephone back home call on arrival etc etc.

A water proof hand held strapped to the waist band of a decent lifejacket with spray hood and crutch straps would be a must, as would the kill cord.

Don't worry, I am aware of the risks of boating solo, but there is as much chance as (sorry PJ) PJ falling out of Marineboy and being lost in the run as there is of me coming a croper mid channel or on any other delivery journey I have had to do and will no doubt have to do again in the future. It's not a nice thought, but it is a risk of the job.

The Run's a bit busier with other boaters than mid channel! With the water temp this time of year I'd be wearing a drysuit if I was crossing in an open boat - even a floatation suit would give you minutes rather than hours!

I'm really surpised that the marina would let you even go alone - the delivery cost should include 2 crew!

Anyway - none of my business. Have a safe trip!

The Run's a bit busier with other boaters than mid channel! With the water temp this time of year I'd be wearing a drysuit if I was crossing in an open boat - even a floatation suit would give you minutes rather than hours!

I'm really surpised that the marina would let you even go alone - the delivery cost should include 2 crew!

Anyway - none of my business. Have a safe trip!

Looking at all options, but it is a prviate job and not via the marina / brokerage.

The owner was planning on doing it himself, but doesn't want to come over and then be here for days waiting for a weather window.

There is no rush either. She can go anytime between now and Easter, not that sea temperatures will be much warmer.