Elec start

aikidojohn

I really cannot think if a way that you could strap a starter motor to the flywheel securely.

From what i know, generally engines are bought as manual start or manual/electric start.

I am not in the know, but I have had enough small outboards to be able to confidently say "I doubt it very much" cool.gif

Now this may or not be possible, but it might.

Can you fit an electric start to a Yam 2.5hp 4 stroke outboard?

AJ  cool.gif

Only if its got a ring gear on the flywheel and its got the relevant bolt holes in the block to mount the starter motor.

Why do you want to electric start a 2.5hp outboard ?

If its in good nick and running properly it should start when you look at it.

You could always try a cordless drill with a socket that fits the flywheel nut.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I would have thought the electric outboard and battery is the best route

or maybe go up to a boat instead of the Kayak and outriggers

I doubt there are too many electric start 2.5hp about , to small to warrant the extra weight or have room under the cowling for the starter.

I would have thought the electric outboard and battery is the best route

or maybe go up to a boat instead of the Kayak and outriggers

I doubt there are too many electric start 2.5hp about , to small to warrant the extra weight or have room under the cowling for the starter.

An electric motor has it's own problems. One being it is designed to do no more than 5 knots. The size of the battery and it's siteing on a yak.

I would never had got a yak in the first place if I had some were to keep a 16' to18' boat. But I can keep two yak with no problem, other than her that must be obayed. The outriggers are not there just for stabbiaty that is secondary. They alow me to put a 15Kg outboard on the back and let me go back to start her. They also give some lift to the back end when I am under way. Around 5 knots she wonts to come up on the plane for a boat this might be good but not so good for a yak. There are many problems with the outriggers the floats being one of them. The floats that come with the Side Kickers are a little small and not designed for the perpus I am putting them to. So I am making new floats that will come up on plane at around 3 to 4 knots, this should give me lift at the back end and stop the yak comeing up on the plane.

Still thease are only problems and if you dont give up, problems can be solved.

Unlike me abilaty to spell biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

AJ ph34r.gif

About 25 years ago, my Dad fitted a 2.5 outboard to something like this.

He mounted the engine about 1/3 length forward from stern.

It was fine for speed until he added a seat, deck,foam filled it. etc.etc.

It was crap at turning though. It just used to go sideways.

( Yes Rob, I come from a long line of nutters )

Jim

post-52-1296330032.jpg

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen! Good luck!

....it was

For the record I have only come off my kayak one time and the out board had nothing at all to do with the flip. There is not a member on that kayak site that has not come off there kayak, at least one time and surprise surprise none of them had an out board!

It is not coming off that matters. It is what you do after about it, is what matters.

I put over 20 hours testing (I am still testing today) to see what went wrong.

1/. How did my kayak take on 1/2 a kayak full of water?

2/. Could the out board have paid a part in the flip?

3/. Why did I find it almost impossible to right it?

4/. Was there a better way of righting her?

5/. Why did the anchor line snap?

6/. Why was it almost impossible to paddle or steer?

7/. How did any one know I had flipped over, as I was some distance away?

8/. Why did 5 kayaks (2 being new kayaks if not the first time out) take on water in the same year. With 2 needing to call out rescue services?

9/. Why do some of the most experienced kayakers believe that it is the responsibility of boats to see them and not for the kayaker to be seen?

I could go on but I am getting Bord.

This thread was about weather an electric start could be fitted to a 2.5 Yam out board.

The answer seems to be no. end of.

AJ ph34r.gif

Is a 2.5 going to go more than 5knts? If not go electric!

I think what you want is this:

http://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=CPnr9ZCU7KYCFRN-5QodMF8UAw

I am not a Yakker, but I woudl have thought some of the appeal was the enjoyment of exercise, satisfaction of paddeling under your own steam and the peace and quiet!

If you want a boat get one! How about an inflatable if storage is an issue?

How do you insure yourself \ craft? Can you? Should you? Are you prepared to lose your house etc if you hurt someone if you can't get insurance?

....it was

9/. Why do some of the most experienced kayakers believe that it is the responsibility of boats to see them and not for the kayaker to be seen?

huh.gif

Sorry John.

Dont know where you got that from.All the kayakers I know go out of there way to be seen by boats.

We sit so low in the water its hard enough for boats to see us anyway.I have a flag attached to the back of my crate on a telescopic pole,Bright paddles which I can wave around to attract attention,Bright orange Beannie hat,A high vis.

Plus for night fishing I have my all round Nav light which can be seen from a few miles away.Headlamp and solas tape on my kayak and paddles and pfd.

Its our duty to make sure we can be seen.

....it was

huh.gif

Sorry John.

Dont know where you got that from.All the kayakers I know go out of there way to be seen by boats.

We sit so low in the water its hard enough for boats to see us anyway.I have a flag attached to the back of my crate on a telescopic pole,Bright paddles which I can wave around to attract attention,Bright orange Beannie hat,A high vis.

Plus for night fishing I have my all round Nav light which can be seen from a few miles away.Headlamp and solas tape on my kayak and paddles and pfd.

Its our duty to make sure we can be seen.

Sorry Zzippy but it is.

When I fitted this

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh205/a...hn/P7200454.jpg

some of the main kayak leaders, came on site and thought I was a nutter.

One thought that the flag would interfear with handleing of the yak. Another said it would only be seen from one angle.

One of my very earley posts was that I had been talking to a charter fisherman that came close to running down a yak as he only seen it at the last min. and the responce was that the boats should keep a better look out. It was not up to him it was up to the boatman, and this was a "team leader" that always speaks his mind!

I could look up some for you, but then again you could do that.

I am not going to let this get into a row, so I will not say any more.

What I wanted to know, I have found out. You cannot fit an electric start to a yam 2.5

AJ ph34r.gif