2011 trip planning/ alderney

ospreyman

folks

every time i come on here i pine for poole harbour and the jinks you lot get up to.

after a terrible year this year i am starting to look forward to next year. i have an idea that i should bring the boat to poole for an extended period, maybe 4 to 6 to 8 weeks, when i would drive down to the boat rather than take it down the coast.

question, where would be the best place in the area to stick a boat for 4 to 6 weeks bearing in mind i would need to get there/ back for 2 trips by public transport?

it would also make sense to combine this period with another forums trip to weymouth in early july and a big ambition to get across to alderney.

bearing in mind my last entrance into poole was with a rope around the prop and a subsequently slipping clutch it does show how much i love the place!

advice please

greg

ps boat spaces will be available for those who need them

Greg

Your amongst friends here you will always get a lift from the station (bus or train) to the boat and we may even be able to find you a berth.

Alderney is in the planning with no date set yet but Adam will be putting together our competition and Alderney dates soon (next week or two hopefully) We usually go during the early bank holidays but more info to follow soon.

A few fellow members (me included) are hoping to get to Weymouth this year so may tag along with you on that one.

Crew should also be no problem especially as may/june are top mid channel times

Martin

Initial thoughts for 2011 are to aim for the May bank holiday at the begining of the month, and then another wrecking trip in June to Cherbourg 1 or 2 night trip.

So if you bought her down end of April and took her back mid June, you get all the bream fishing this side of the channel, Alderney, mid channel wrecks etc

Adam

thank you both, will be spending the winter wishin!

thinking about it the getting to the station will be the least of my problems, finding a berth for may june early july ish strikes me as a bigger problem, does any one have any hints clues or advice? 26 foot long and if adams advice is to be taken end of april to early july, sounds a daunting ask to me

Not my call as I have nothing to do with the marina side of things, but we will undoubtedly have swinging moorings available a few minutes from the harbour entrance, great cafe, short stroll in to town, very close to the station...

Would be good to have you here Greg.

Alternatively, Dolphin Quay (Town Quay Marina) is actually set up specifically for visiting boats and is THE recommended marina for visitors, right in the centre of Poole. Good berth holder facilities and very close to Poole rail station.

Hi Greg

It would be good to have you around mate

Not sure how you like to leave your boat when you are away from it, pontoon and power or swinging mooring to keep costs down

I may be able to help with both options at the Yacht Club where I work, maybe just booking periods in the Marina when you are actually with the boat as long periods at visitors rates get pricey.

we had lilbrit earlier in the year for 10 days, he seemed to enjoy his stay

Charlie biggrin.gif

thank you all for the replies and advice

30 mins to the sea is not a problem often takes me more than that to get into sovereign in the summer. have sailed dinghies across the harbour and out to sea many times and that takes at least that. a 30 min run to the mouth might even get the engine warmed up - normally takes until the turbo turns on to do that!

swinging mooring is more of a problem for me. if i bring the plan off it willl be drive down in the evening, sleep on board, up, gather crew from the club, fish and home, maybe 3 or 6 times in the month/2 months and maybe the odd weekend when i can do 2 days fishing or the longer trips across the channel. dont have a tender, dont have a self contained loo on board (an old straight out job), have an illogical fear of leaving the boat on a swinging mooring. but at least i shoudnt need shore power tho.

interesting idea of dry stacking tho, meant to ring rockley today but life intervened

and thank you tom "your" place gave me an emergancy refuge when i needed it this year - but that is a tight turn in when you dont know were you are going and you have an unknown steering /prop problem, brown trousers now clean!

greg

thank you all for the replies and advice

30 mins to the sea is not a problem often takes me more than that to get into sovereign in the summer. have sailed dinghies across the harbour and out to sea many times and that takes at least that. a 30 min run to the mouth might even get the engine warmed up - normally takes until the turbo turns on to do that!

swinging mooring is more of a problem for me. if i bring the plan off it willl be drive down in the evening, sleep on board, up, gather crew from the club, fish and home, maybe 3 or 6 times in the month/2 months and maybe the odd weekend when i can do 2 days fishing or the longer trips across the channel. dont have a tender, dont have a self contained loo on board (an old straight out job), have an illogical fear of leaving the boat on a swinging mooring. but at least i shoudnt need shore power tho.

interesting idea of dry stacking tho, meant to ring rockley today but life intervened

and thank you tom "your" place gave me an emergancy refuge when i needed it this year - but that is a tight turn in when you dont know were you are going and you have an unknown steering /prop problem, brown trousers now clean!

greg

Never knew you came in to ours Greg? When was that, I must have been away otherwise I would have come and helped out?

Out of all the suggestions, look into Charlies.

The yacht club is superb. Excellent moorings. excellent facilities, great club house, very secure (unlike some of the other locations) and it sounds like Charlie may wangle you a rather good deal.

I think it's where I would choose to stop off if I ever needed to (come to think of it, we did "park" Troms Explorer there for a few days enroute to Norway).

Tom

thanks tom

came into your home on the way back from weymouth, picked up a rope off st anvils hd in snotty weather, limped into poole. it did prove the value of having all the details of bolt holes on board, will never moan at the number of charts and almanacs and guides on board again. the marina were great, very helpfull and once moored up was able to sort the isssue and having tested the boat in the harbour and phoned my pet mechanic went on my way celebrating with a stress releasing fast downwind ride in big seas to the solent. did ask for you but you werent there, probably planning a fishing trip somewhere.

have been in touch with charlie and hope to be a real member of pbsbac next year

cant wait and hope to bring it off

and ps

if i do there will be some boat spaces for people who want them

if i do there will be some boat spaces for people who want them

I can testify to her being a very fine vessel to travel on and fish from too.

Just watch your head on that bolt if you decide to take the helm and go wave jumping!!! wink.gif

user posted image

tom

that bolt (aka a roof cabin light) obviously made an impresssion on you.

Nige, not sure which seat is yours

Nige

i meant that the seat earmarked for you is the springy one with the wheel in front of it, that way you can experience the tom b hit the bolt with your head experience, altenatively you can slow down! - and avoid hitting the cabin light with your nonce. i do so hope i will bring this off and having had some advice from charlie i think i will

greg

Tom hit his head? Couldn't be the roof above his head?

Unless Greg,He was stood on the seat! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

twas a bouncy day, boat has never been driven that hard since with me on board, loved that tho cos it gave me so much confidence in it, (can stilll remember some of the hits on me bones- but equally over the whole journey back from the brittle star beds we beat some of the charter boats to weymouth) have been out since in rougher- down to 9 knots upwind with constant spray over the top and running off the roof but tom needs to be a bit heavier to stay in the chair and not hit the cabin light above it

ps

tom it was a memorable day and i loved it

It was a good day Greg.

Hard work with the tides being so big, but I seem to remember we had a relatively good day, at least those of us that stayed near the bottom did (Pedro and his flying collar).

Mrs Sea is a lovely boat. It's always good to drive something different and whilst no boat is perfect, for her size she must rate as one of the best planing hulled angling boats out there. I'd be very proud to own one.

I'd always jump at another opportunity to step aboard and likewise, you'll always be welcome aboard Quest II, another excellent, but very different beast.

Tom

PS: In my gallery there are several pics of our day on the banks. I think I saved them in amongst the ones of Henry Gilbeys day aboard my boat.

Edited by TomBettle