Squid Run

Maverick Martin

Back by popular demand the squid run smile.gif

In the next week or so I shall be phoning around for bulk prices on boxes of squid.

The 5lb boxes come in cases of six. To obtain the best prices we will need to arrange it so we buy in whole cases.

If you can post here what you require then I will see what we can come up with.

Martin

I tried the prawns they weren't very good, only manage to catch doggies and doggies and more doggies.

Anyway, I've ask my 2 suppliers to quote for 5lbs and 1 lbs block and I shall get a price by Sunday.

Personally I prefer the 1 lb block, cos unless you are codding, a 5 lb block of squids is alot to use.

That is really what the squid is for Kam - CODDING!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

1lb boxes aint' worth bothering with, as they are cheap enough from the tackle shop, but considering we get through about 2/3 5lb boxes of squid per trip in the winter it is worth bulk buying!

# Good Tip (esp. for Kam!) Saving the small plastic chinese food containers with the lids. Thaw out a box of 5lb squid enough to seperate the squids - box them up into the food containers and re-freeze. That way if you do go fishing for whiting or what just a few squid, you dont have to take a whole box!

Having said they are for codding. Can any one tell me if they are fit for human consuption? I am very parcial to a bit of flash fried squid with sweet chilli sauce, then there's stuffed squid provencal in tomato and caper sauce, Oo then there's salt ginger and garilc fried squid in plum sauce with pak choi and beansprouts. Oh sod the cod I'll have a couple of boxes anyway laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Mikey..............compare the price Martin gets to the price food shops are selling them. Food grade squid is extortionately expensive.......the stuff we use for bait is not clasified as consumable. However, if you have an extremely solid constitution, give them a try!!!

Regards, Rich.................without the runs!!!!!!

I would have to disagree Rich - ALL of the squid I have bought in the past few years has been human food grade. It states this on the side of the boxes.

It obviously isnt as good as the fresh stuff bought from the fish counter, but once it has been washed and de-skinned, it is pretty good - infact last year I ate about half a box!!

Adam is right, almost all squids are for human consumtion. If they are from MJ seafoods then they are definitely for human consumtion.

I think the best way to cook them is shallow fry them whole, in oliver oil with a hint of sea salt and black pepper, just let the juice run down your chin... hmmmm, yummy.

Not sure if you can get them fresh locally, the only place I ever saw them fresh was in Billingate fish market in london.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for PM; looks like my enquiry coincided with this squid posting!

Thanks for the 'run' ; can you put me down for TWO CASES please.

Mike,

The squid are fished for human consumption .... the boxes from California have detailed info. on nutritional status.

I think they are great, if a bit small ; they make a super , tasty sauce if you have just a few left over from bait or a meal in a rich / spicy tomato one ........... just remember to remove the 'plastic -like' pen inside the mantle.

Tight lines,

Alun.

Peter / shytalk ....... or anyone else ........... can you say more about those big atlantic squid..... are these the 'quiddies'..... ???

How / where to fish for them ........ am I right in thinking it's night fishing ?????

All ears ........ for monsters for the b.b.q. !!!!!!!

Curious,

Alun.

When I lived in HK when I was a lad, we used to go squid fishing at night.

All we needed was a treble hook with a white sleeve, some mono with a small weigh. Just chuck the weigh and hook as far out as you can and retrieve at pace, with charp tucks. The squid will latch on to anything whiteish and we just pull it in.

Only good for the small one tho, the larger ones just ain't interested.