2 stroke Engine

Paul D

Used the Mercury 4 HP 2 stroke I got form Graham the other week in Weymouth and worked fine.

Friend at work advised that I should turn the fuel off and let the engine run so fuel is not left languishing. I decided to do this on this weekend. Got dustbin, placed engine in the dustbin and could I start the damn thing - no !!

So what is the best way to start a 2 stroke - no throttle / max throttle ? - Choke or no choke ? -

I am beginning to think having an aux engine is not all it is cracked up to be as I am sure the damn thing wont start if I need it !!

I know it sounds silly, but did you prime the engine before you took the fuel connector off? If there is no (not much) fuel in there to start with, you won't be able to start it.

I've the same dilemma as you, I used to have a Honda 4s 10 hp as an aux on my Shetland, it was rigged up to go tantam with the main outboard and it was ever so easy to start, not to mention quiet as well as economy. However, it won't fit on the new boat so I sold it and am looking for a replacement, since I can't afford a 4 stroke, I will probably go for a Seagull since they are really easy to look after and ultra reliable.

Kam,

Save the extra few pennies and stretch to a small, but new 4 stroke - a 4/5hp will set you back about 400 quid if you look around. As you have a nice shinney new boat this will look a lot better, and despite seagulls having a good name, id go for a new (ish) 4 stroke anytime.

Also, how big is your new boat? If over 18' then I would question the use of a small aux. Given a 4/5 knot spring tide and the main engine goes 10 miles from port a 4/5hp engine aint gunna do much - better the keep the main one well serviced and reliable - if it does go pear shaped a tow or the coastguard.

PS: I have a nearly new (1 hours use) 2 stroke 4hp Mariner and it fits the bill for me nicely - I reckon you owuld pick one of these up for a few hundred.

Used the Mercury 4 HP 2 stroke I got form Graham the other week in Weymouth and worked fine.

Friend at work advised that I should turn the fuel off and let the engine run so fuel is not left languishing. I decided to do this on this weekend. Got dustbin, placed engine in the dustbin and could I start the damn thing - no !!

So what is the best way to start a 2 stroke - no throttle / max throttle ? - Choke or no choke ? -

I am beginning to think having an aux engine is not all it is cracked up to be as I am sure the damn thing wont start if I need it !!

Remembering the oil rich mix you had in it Paul I would sugest you whip he plug/s out and clean them for a start. Usual method for a 2T is (cold engine) full choke and a little throttle. You need to gently pull the starter untill you feel it come on to a compression. Then relax the cord back in so you get maximum revolutions from the pull. A firm brisk pull is then needed.

Mad Mike

Yep, go for the plugs first. That's usually the problem.

But if you have had old fuel in it for a few months, the oil mix can start to go jelly-like and clog up the little fuel filter. This happened on my new aux. It had a high oil mix because I was being run in, and I left the fuel in for about 6 months without starting it.

Had to remove all the fuel, clean out the fuel filter and clean the plugs. Then she started first time!!!

Bob F.

OK, thanks for the advice. I did clean one of the plugs ( looked oK to me ). I was just wondering if I should have given it choke or not.

The plug didn't appear to be oiled up ( unlike last time I tried to start the engine with the completely wrong fueld /oil mix. )

I will have to have a another go in the weekend.

Heating the plugs is fine on the drive Rich but I don't fancy having to do this in a rough sea etc biggrin.gifsad.gif

OK, thanks for the advice. I did clean one of the plugs ( looked oK to me ). I was just wondering if I should have given it choke or not.

The plug didn't appear to be oiled up ( unlike last time I tried to start the engine with the completely wrong fueld /oil mix. )

Heating the plugs is fine on the drive Rich but I don't fancy having to do this in a rough sea etc biggrin.gifsad.gif

Paul I should have mentioned to check that the plugs (Therfore the electrics and all that) are working. Take out both plugs and leave one connected to its HT lead. With a pair of INSULATED tongue.gif pliers hold the plugs threaded bit on a bit of unpainted engine (bolt head usualy) Get Hels to pull the starter chord (this will be easy as both plugs are out) WHat you are looking for is a nice fat spark as the engine turns over. Do one then the other. This wont nessesarily make the engine go, but it will eliminate one of the potential problems. If both spark well then it must be fuel.

Mad Mike

Heating the plugs is fine on the drive Rich but I don't fancy having to do this in a rough sea etc  biggrin.gif  sad.gif

Paul I should have mentioned to check that the plugs (Therfore the electrics and all that) are working. Take out both plugs and leave one connected to its HT lead. With a pair of INSULATED tongue.gif pliers hold the plugs threaded bit on a bit of unpainted engine (bolt head usualy) Get Hels to pull the starter chord (this will be easy as both plugs are out) WHat you are looking for is a nice fat spark as the engine turns over. Do one then the other. This wont nessesarily make the engine go, but it will eliminate one of the potential problems. If both spark well then it must be fuel.

Mad Mike

Who needs gloves or insulated pliers? They are for wimp ...... just hold it barehand.

Kam daringly challenges.........

( Who needs gloves or insulated pliers? They are for wimp ...... just hold it barehand)

Actualy the kick from a larger engine with capacitor discharge sparking would REALLY spoil your day and all subsequent ones too blink.gif If you are tempted to try and you do die could I have your boat please? If so just a small note of confirmation would be appreciated before you get hold of the plug laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Holding HT leads or plugs during spark testing is definatly not for wimps. or for anyone certified sane.

The old fashioned Johnson spark tester had the sparks jumping gaps up to about 6mm. If they are good for that, they will as Mike says spoil your day.

use a decent pair of insulated pliers or a couple of bits of wood like chop sticks to hold the plug/lead and you will enjoy it far more

Charlie biggrin.gif

I've still got one of those yellow see through (not that clear now) thingys for connecting between cap/plug and showing spark. Invaluable - unless you have a suker with you prepared to hold whilst you pull!

Concerned about reference to more than one plug and fuel tank conectors earlier in thread - surely it's a single cylinder and has an integral tank?