yam 4hp 4 stroke prob

mike02380

Hi Mike

Not a mechanic and not really sure but I had similar with the 2 stroke chainsaw and it was carb jets blocked.......jets very small and easily blocked. Those that know can sort it out quite easily. As soon as you throttle up the demand on the jets increases and they cannot respond.

Hope it is that simple and you get it sorted easily.

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Just a thought

Are you letting it warm up?

Is there a choke option on your motor?

Are you using FRESH fuel?

Is there fuel getting to the carb?

Doubt if carbs blocked on a 4-stroke but the filter may be blocked or partly

Is the tank vent open?

Try all the simple things first if it worked ok previously

Dave

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

Hi Mike,

I had the same problem with a newish 2hp 4 stroke Yam. They said there was some poop in the jets..... and it gets in there due to topping up.

Ran in the tank OK, but then under load opening up the throttle more than 1/2 way and it would conk out ... very annoying....

Hope you get it sorted

Paul

Try Fuel Set. It's a green liquid that keeps carbs clean and breaks up water. Quite expensive but only small quantities needed. I've used it for years every trip and had no fuel problems. Damn I shouldn't have said that--bound to get a problem next trip!

Peter

I once a similar problem and when I switched to another tank it worked just fine.

(vent probs)

If you can, try and borrow another one if it is not a jet/carb problem as sometimes the tank does not vent properly as they get older. Is it an old tank? I actually broke mine I think by dropping it on the ground from the boat when I refilled it, the pipe inside to the bottom fell off.

I had to throw my old mettle tanks away and bought new 22l plastic ones. Am more careful now.

Just a thought.

Good luck anyway

i sprayed some butane into the carb to help flush it through whilst it was semi dis mantled, seemed to help and it also seems to run alot better on the external fuel tank rather then the internal so i will empty it and top up with fresh, i also think i will pop into bhg for a new fuel filter, totally stripping the carb was a bit beyond me and my gerber multi tool! i couldn't work out how to get the pin which holds the float and jets out so just sprayed the butane in.

at least its running and useable but i think long term further attention is required

would any engine wizards be prepared to show me the procedure for some beer / free trip out fishing?

cheers

Edited by mike02380