Fancy taking out a newbie??

Adam F

Anyone fancy taking me out for an afternoon?

I'm a complete newbie, and whilst Ive paddled in the past, Ive never fished from one. Seeing as now is the quietest month of the year I'd love to have a few hours flounder fishing in the harbour (xchurch or poole) if someone has a few hours and a spare yak??

PS; Have a drysuit, which I'm sure would be most helpful!

Happy to reciprocate with a free trip out on JV when the offshore fishing heats up.

Adam

I have 2 yaks so you are welcome to borrow one of them Adam. I would not for one minute suggest you use me as your guide for the day tho' as I am a complete novice too. If you find someone who can go with you, you are welcome to borrow one of them whether I am there or not as I doubt you will do it any more harm than I would do myself. One of them has no anchor setup of any sort btw.

I wouldn't mind tagging along too although mid week is probably not great for me but I might be able to squeeze away if the timing is right.

Graham

Hi guys,

unfortunately i am not able to make a week day session unless its a night time one, and that probably isnt the best idea yet to be honest.

Can do a few hours at the weekend if you like, and would prefer lake pier near rockly for a first mess about trip as its generally sheltered and failry flat.

If your an absolute novice Adam we could leave the rods in the cars and go do some paddling and re-entry & assisted-re-entry drills until you are happy, then get some anchoring / mooring to bouys done folowed by a paddle or some fishing if your still up to it

Probably best to have a play until you are comfortable falling out and getting in, and archoring tying up Etc.

then do some fishing the next time out, I remember my first trip was rockly and i wasnt a happy bunny (crapped myself) and didnt like it at all, in fact i only enjoyed it after a paddle and some training.

Thanks for the superb response guys - just checked and that will be fine. In the afternoon for just a few hours sounds like an ideal intro - Rach is going to go around Poole whilst I'm out.

What sort of time and what do I need to bring?

Cheers

Edited by Adam F

Adam, how about 12:00 at rockly pier?

As for kit i guess you would need the dry suit, PDF and ideally a whistle and deffinately a paddle leash.

if we are going to do some fishing then most of us carry some line that we can lash the Yaks together with but ideally an anchor trolly, anchor some line and a bouy or some kind of float.

were gonna get wet though blink.gif

maybe a small flounder rod and some worms for a spot of fishing later biggrin.gif

Excellent , i wont be there till about 1.00, got to work in the morning.

Just bring everything to stay warm and dry including PFD,rod etc, i have some spare cord and carabiners to enable you to tie off to some mooring bouys ,we can anchor together if its not to rough. .

This will be a great intro as long as the weather is on our side. .

See you saturday ,

,Who else is going to come then? smile.gif

Edited by seagypsy

Drysuit no problem. The only PFD's I have are the CO2 ones on my boat? I guess these are no good as they will go off if I go in?

What's an anchor trolley? The only anchor I have is the one off JV - I'm sure 10kg is a bit much!! I gave all my little bottle anchors away!

I'll bring a spinning rod and a few worms.

Edited by Adam F

Adam, an anchor trolley is a method of getting the anchor rope to the front or back of the yak as you obviously cant reach either. If you are tying up to another yak its not a problem and I am sure one of the more experienced lads will be able to sort something out for us.

I will bring a spare life jacket just in case its needed. (not a PFD but better than nothing).

Graham.

Adam,

a life jacket would be ok, but not an auto inflating one as you will have it auto inflating biggrin.gif

I have a mate that has a PDF that wont be using it this weekend, i will ask if i can borrow it.

Whilst its true that a Life Jacket would turn you onto your back if you was not consious and a PDF would not the LJ is bulkier and would almost certainly hinder your attempts to self rescue if you needed it so a bit of a double edged sword, however the PDF is less bulky so does not hinder you as much. when you are trying to get back onto the Yak

Dont worry about the anchor, maybe we can do some anchor drills with you using my Yak just to get some practice in and the anchor trolly will also become self explanitory at that point.

Isn't a PFD a "Personal Floatation Device"? Like a Life jacket but wont turn you over if you are face down and unconscious. Basically gives you buoyancy, got  a BCD Adam??!!  smile.gif

Nah - I'm a techie diver mate - I use a backplate and wing.

Thanks lads - see you down there - 1pm OK?

Also how long will we bo out? If it's a couple of hours Rach will shop around Poole (preffered option) if not she will stay at home and I'll be using up brownie points!

Edited by Adam F